Replacement countershaft washer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Replacement countershaft washer

My washer doesn't have a tab to bend over the nut, anyone elses like this?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

are they suppose to have a tab?....i bought a replacement and it was just flat...i just used a flat screwdriver and a hammer to make the bend...after two or three times of flattening and bending, i needed a new washer...

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
are they suppose to have a tab?....i bought a replacement and it was just flat...i just used a flat screwdriver and a hammer to make the bend...after two or three times of flattening and bending, i needed a new washer...
This is exactly how mine came, and yes I think they are supposed to have a tab. What I ended up doing was using a flat screwdriver and hammer to pound part of the washer down against the nut.

Pretty scary, but I followed the torque specs for the counter shaft bolt the last time I removed it and it was lose against the case saver when I took it off today. I put some oil on the inside of the sprocket where the countershaft goes into the engine and put some loctite on the countershaft to help keep things secure. We'll see how it goes this time. I really hope I don't have to replace the washer every time I want to swap sprockets.

I switched to a 15t up front so I'm 15/42 now with my 351 and I love it!

Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
This is exactly how mine came, and yes I think they are supposed to have a tab. What I ended up doing was using a flat screwdriver and hammer to pound part of the washer down against the nut.

Pretty scary, but I followed the torque specs for the counter shaft bolt the last time I removed it and it was lose against the case saver when I took it off today. I put some oil on the inside of the sprocket where the countershaft goes into the engine and put some loctite on the countershaft to help keep things secure. We'll see how it goes this time. I really hope I don't have to replace the washer every time I want to swap sprockets.

I switched to a 15t up front so I'm 15/42 now with my 351 and I love it!
The OEM washer does not have a tab, at least it don't on my bike. Nor does the illustrated parts breakdown shows one. You simply bend it like you did.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
The OEM washer does not have a tab, at least it don't on my bike. Nor does the illustrated parts breakdown shows one. You simply bend it like you did.
Is yours shaped like a bowl? Mine was not flat either. I figure that instead of replacing it each time I can just bend a different side down to I don't wear the steel out by bending it back and forth.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Is yours shaped like a bowl? Mine was not flat either. I figure that instead of replacing it each time I can just bend a different side down to I don't wear the steel out by bending it back and forth.
Yes, bowl shaped if I remember right. And yes, bending a different side each time is a good idea

Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Bowl-shaped, no tab, bend it over... doesn't need to be smashed tight against the nut, just needs to provide enough resistence to prevent it from turning on its own.