Replacement Battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Replacement Battery ?

Did a search and best thread I could find was from 2010. So.......

I need to get a couple Batteries. Time to put the bikes back on the road.

Any and all suggestions on where and which to get will be apreciated.

Conditions battery will have to put up with are.
1. Hot and Humid life. Humid should not make a differnce but it will NEVER get cold EVER. we had an all time record low for one of the days last year 69F!
2. Bike may not run for a long time on occasion.
3. Every once in a while I have been known to jump off the bike and leave the key in and on completly discharging the battery. A battery that can bounce back quick would be good.
4. I have a 351kit on one of the bikes so that must be a little more starting load.
5. I would rather pay more for more cranking amps than stock than have the same cranking amps in a smaller battery.
6. I plan on also getting a battery tender and setting the bike up so I can recharge & jump start without removeing a cover.

Thanks in advace
Jim

Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
1st Gear Member

get a shori lithum battery, i let one sit in my snowmobile for 2yrs and it cranked it right up no hesitation, not to mention the fact it is so much lighter than a lead acid

Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I couldn't start my 250S yesterday without a charger and it's only been sitting since last wednesday. So, time for the lightweight battery before it happens again.

I'm going with the 4-cell EVO2 for $90 shipped. Less than a pound and doesn't need a special charger. I don't know how much the stock battery weighs but I'm guessing in the 5-6 pound range. Nice weight savings.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Stupid inconsistent batteries! I've had my battery in the KLX since new, that was November of 05, been using a batter tender a couple of days a week for all those years and never even had a low batter situation. But the wife's bike...I had to replace the battery in less than a year. Now I keep all three bikes on tenders a few days a week, and all is well. But that doesn't mean you wont get bad batteries. It's a crap shoot really, but I've heard good things about the other type of batteries. I also installed the kick starter on the wife's bike, I would love to do that to the KLX too, but I'm always short on moolah.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I've heard good things about the other type of batteries. I also installed the kick starter on the wife's bike, I would love to do that to the KLX too, but I'm always short on moolah.
You're a good husband spending money on hers before his.

Hey, how much did the kicker setup set you back? My old KLX331 kicked over so easy I almost hate to waste the space/weight of a starter. I've thought of adding a kicker and losing the starter but... the money is better spent elsewhere I'm sure as the weight of the starter is low down.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

have a stock battery if anybody wants...got a shorai, but realized i just needed a valve adjustment....the battery was tested and holds charge well....this is up for donation in the san francisco, ca area (well, cost to ship if necessary)

FB Super MF - Used
Furukawa Battery
FTX7L-BS
12 Volts and 6AH
Valve Regulated Lead Acid Battery

4.5" (Width) x 5" (Height) x 3" (Deep)

Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
get a shori lithum battery, i let one sit in my snowmobile for 2yrs and it cranked it right up no hesitation, not to mention the fact it is so much lighter than a lead acid
Very happy with my Shorai. They will sit and hold a charge for a long time. They don't need a battery tender. They do not like to be completely discharged, so I'm told, so a couple positives and a negative. Oh yeah one more pro/con, they are light and expensive. Definitely crank quicker.
Dan

Edit 12-2012 I just found my note from when i changed the battery. Stock battery 5 pounds even. Shorai 1 pound 6 ounces. I didn't change the battery for the weight loss, I did it for the higher voltage. generally 14v

Last edited by dan888; 12-09-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

ditto shorai lithium iron...stock battery...after about a week, i can hook it up to a charger and it shows some loss of charge after about week (battery is still fine)....shorai lithium iron can sit for over 2 weeks, i hooked it up to the battery charger and charger shows the battery at full charge and no need to charge...

Originally Posted by dan888
Very happy with my Shorai. They will sit and hold a charge for a long time. They don't need a battery tender. They do not like to be completely discharged, so I'm told, so a couple positives and a negative. Oh yeah one more pro/con, they are light and expensive. Definitely crank quicker.
Dan

Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

OK so I am thinking-
One Shorai and one used stock from AHNH666 If............I can get both shipped out here without a hassle.

AHN666 I have a DHL acct so if they will let you ship it I can give you my address and acct # and all you have to do is box it up and do the paperwork. Ill even paypal you some $ for the effort. Now to do a google and fins a Shorai Ill try and PM me or you can hit me up at my username at hotmail so I can get you the details.

THanks for the feed back guys.
Cheers, Jim

Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

my company has a full services mail house downstairs...usps, ups, fedex, golden state, etc....but, no dhl services...they told me i would need to box it and take it myself to dhl...probably not worth the cost to ship a used battery to guam....

Quick Reply: Replacement Battery ?