Replacement air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:33 AM
AZR
1st Gear Member
Default Replacement air filter?

The seams on my foam air filter are starting to come unglued. I have a 2007. There are a lot of options, but I see twin air come up a lot. From what I can see the only have filters for 09 up.

Does anyone know if the 09+ filter will fit the 07, if there is a part number for the 07? Any other recommend filters?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 AM

The 09 filter won't fit your bike. I don't think Twin Air makes a filter for your bike. The K&N has a great reputation and makes a high flow filter for that year.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

If you ride road, K&N is fine, but if you ride dusty off road go with a foam filter, even if it is a stock one. No MX rider I've ever seen runs a K&N because that extra flow comes at the cost of less filtration. A foam filter may be a bit more restrictive, but they work better in dust and wet. Even K&N knows this and makes a special foam sock to wet with oil to put over their filters if they are run in dusty dirty conditions.

If you can't find an aftermarket filter just buy another OEM. It's a cheap investment in having good filtration.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

^ plus 1

Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

According to Bike Bandit they have a Twin Air that'll fit your bike.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Twin Air for my '06 which should be the same as your '07. Sorry, but don't have the part number handy. Picked it up three years ago and rotate between it and the stock filter.

There are a few dirt bikers who will go K&N. I think ZW here is one of them who's used K&N for years. But there are SO many dirt riders who won't use them and who have documented problems that I won't touch them for the dirty work. My opinion based on others anecdotes...

Old 12-10-2013, 02:25 AM
AZR
1st Gear Member

I'll stay away from the k&n then, its pretty dusty/silty/sandy out here and I don't want to have to worry about sucking that stuff in. I'll double check the one on bikebandit, the twin air seems a good option. Seems like other filters fit both the 06/07 and the 09+. Uni has one for $20. Ill see what the local shop has.
Having 2 would make things easier but I'm worried about the stock one. The seams havent completely separated, no holes, but instead of being fused the outer edge isn't glued.
Thanks

Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

It's very handy to have two. Pull one out to clean, dry, oil and stick the other one back in while the dirty one is being cleaned up.

Can you epoxy or glue he seams on the stock one for an emergency backup or just keep it running?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
There are a few dirt bikers who will go K&N. I think ZW here is one of them who's used K&N for years. But there are SO many dirt riders who won't use them and who have documented problems that I won't touch them for the dirty work. My opinion based on others anecdotes...
I've never heard of, or seen a single documented problem or failure because of a K&N. What I have seen is that Can-am race bikes came with K&N filters, and never, ever had filter related failures. The 82 Can-am I just sold still had the original filter... and original bore, and I raced it in some pretty dusty conditions.

Look at your foam filter. It's more holes than foam. They work, but so do K&N.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Just sayin' virtually every off roader in trucks and buggies run foam socks on K&Ns as do the flat trackers on motorcycles unless the track is pretty much dust free. You'd also think that if K&N worked really well in motorcycle motocross and off road racing they'd have a much bigger following in motocross and cross country racing. They don't, the foam filters do. There has to be a reason. Both have been around pretty much the same for the past three to four decades. It isn't just rumor.

That and it is pure logic - higher flow requires less resistance to flow, which requires bigger openings per surface area or more surface area to draw from. The other interesting part is that K&N does not dispute the filtering of a foam element. They do claim blockage as the dirt collects on the foam, but doesn't the same thing happen with theirs? They also say something about surface area, but with all the convoluted surface of a foam filter doesn't that make for a lot of surface area, just like the pleating of a K&N? Of course it also brings one back to K&N's using an oil wetted foam filter cover when in extremely dusty conditions. So why not just use foam in the first place as the motocrossers and off roaders do.

Just ask Bob though...

Quick Reply: Replacement air filter?