Repairing plastics, welding plastics

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:28 PM

good work on the welding!

have not fixed any cracks , but my (white) side panel was really badly scratched (crashed on bitumen) and i sanded it down until only the deepest scratches remained.

being white though, the sanded surface was rough and "absorbed" dirt and grease, really hard to clean and looked **** always being dirty.

only way to clean was to re-sand, anyway i re-sanded it, washed with water, resanded etc. to get it really clean, and then applied a heat gun (paint stripping gun)

you have to heat a portion basically to melting point to get back a slight gloss , but it also loses structure and starts to warp, so it takes a bit of practise. dont hold the gun on the same spot too long! i used a swirly motion like a hairdrier maybe. i got just one bit as glossy as new, but then ruined it again.

end result is pretty good, but not quite new. plastic is semi-glossy, but has a nice surface that you can wipe clean, and it stays white! the panel is slightly warped in shape, and was hard to screw on, but this is no problem could be fixed by careful re-heating and shaping, maybe even on the bike?

the warping can only be noticed really in strong sunlight etc. where it forms a shadow, but overall the finish is fairly impressive, after having it dirty and scratched!!! the white is a brilliant white, just not as glossy as new but you don't see both sides at once do you!

Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

So on the JBweld, it sounds like you only applied it to the inside of the panel. Any structural attachment to hold it in place during cure? Did you lay a bead over the crack or spread out a big patch 2 inches either side? How thick was the patch? Any attempt to push it through the crack?

I replaced a shroud for 75$ or so and would like to repair the old one to back-up status.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

High beam, did you buy an OEM replacement shroud? If so, did it come with the factory stickers on it? OEM parts fiche shows separate part no's and prices for the shroud and the decals. Someone on here mentioned that if you bought the shroud, it came with the decals already applied.
Thanks, Dan

Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Dan
I bought Black to replace the white side panels thru japan and they did not come with outer decals but they did come with the foam and foil internal stickers. I dont know if that reflects any on what a shroud purchased in the states would come with.
Cheers Jim

Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
So on the JBweld, it sounds like you only applied it to the inside of the panel. Any structural attachment to hold it in place during cure? Did you lay a bead over the crack or spread out a big patch 2 inches either side? How thick was the patch? Any attempt to push it through the crack?

I replaced a shroud for 75$ or so and would like to repair the old one to back-up status.
i did apply to the inside of the panel only. i did it in a couple of applications. First i used those big clicks you use for clamping wood (look like big clothes pins) to hold the parts in place. i applied a thin bead that went into the cracks and overlapped the joints. once that dried, i removed the clips, and hit all the spots where the clamps were, plus put an additional coat over everything. then i did a third coat, just to be sure. then i duct taped everything, because you always have to use duct tape whenever you fix ANYTHING.

i will try to shoot some picture later today.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
High beam, did you buy an OEM replacement shroud? If so, did it come with the factory stickers on it? OEM parts fiche shows separate part no's and prices for the shroud and the decals. Someone on here mentioned that if you bought the shroud, it came with the decals already applied.
Thanks, Dan
Yes, new shroud came with new stickers. And no, you couldn't buy the top or bottom half of the shroud. They are 2 piece shrouds on the 2009. It was packaged very well and looks factory perfect.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 AM
jxg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Yes, new shroud came with new stickers. And no, you couldn't buy the top or bottom half of the shroud. They are 2 piece shrouds on the 2009. It was packaged very well and looks factory perfect.
did you get the shroud for that price from the local dealer? my quote was a lot higher?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, single right side shroud from local kawi dealer for about 75$. I had online quotes for in the 60s but didn't want to wait around.

That's still bloody expensive and considering the incident that broke it was little more than a standard low speed branch wack I was pretty miffed.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Babbits has the lowest price for radiator shrouds $52 each side. Service Honda $72.

I recently replaced the red plastic on my wifes 09 klx250s. All eight pieces of plastic from service honda was $380. & change to my door. Unfortunately UPS lost the two radiator shrouds, but SH shipped w/ insurance and they will be replaced.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't forget to add shipping cost. It is funny how some places gouge you on shipping in order to post really low product prices.

Quick Reply: Repairing plastics, welding plastics