Repairing plastics, welding plastics

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Exactly RimBender, I cut up strips of the bracing I cut out to use as "welding rod" . Jason thanks for the nice words, your right practice would get better results. I don't think I would ever get anything close to looking new though. I think my welder is shot, and for the results I got so far, I don't think I'll buy another one. These plastics are made of polyproplyne and there are no solvent type "glues/cements" for it. None that chemically melt this type of plastic. You either have to melt it with heat, glue it together with a mechanical glue, or repair it with fasteners like Neil did. After my repair I sanded down bumps and high spots. Sanding left a fuzzy finish. I took a heat gun and carefully used it to smooth out the fuzzy finish.
+1 the whole mess may get coverd up with stickers
Dan

Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know about the fenders, but I used some liquid plastic stuff on the airbox. I drilled a hole so I could get a ratchet in there to take off the backfire screen. Then when I was done I put this liquid plastic stuff on. Its two separate chemicals, you mix them, then apply. This stuff was white. So I put it on, smoothed it out, and let it dry. After that I sanded it down, then took my paint pen and touched over it with flat black. You can't even tell.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

OK well seems any type of melting ( or gluing I'm sure) is a temporary fix. Once its broken, it doesn't take much of a hit to re-break a repair right on the same lines. All it takes is one nap and your hard work is ruined. The franken stitch may just be the best way. Doesn't look tooooo bad and it will flex when impacted.
Dan

Name:  Picture1254.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  Picture1255.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  138.3 KB

Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
Another method you can try that works with some kinds of plastic (like my snowmobile hood):

Glue the crack back together with superglue. When it dries, put more superglue in the v of the crack. Before it dries sprinkle baking soda on it. A chemical reaction will occur making hard surface that can almost be sanded. You can repeat f you want to build the area up. Best done on the back side where it can't be seen. Don't breathe the fumes.
I tried that and everything else I could with the broken shrouds on my KLR. The plastic weld glue from 5 Minute Epoxy is junk. Crazy Glue mixed with baking soda is a really bad idea. CA glue did nothing, I can't remember what else I tried. Nothing worked. Finally, I tried JB Weld and it worked like a charm. I even made reinforcing fillets around all the mounting tabs and glued in the mounting nuts to make it easier to take apart and put together. It's been 2 years now. Still solid as a rock.

JB Weld is our friend.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:21 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

+1 on the JB Weld.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
I tried that and everything else I could with the broken shrouds on my KLR. The plastic weld glue from 5 Minute Epoxy is junk. Crazy Glue mixed with baking soda is a really bad idea. CA glue did nothing, I can't remember what else I tried. Nothing worked. Finally, I tried JB Weld and it worked like a charm. I even made reinforcing fillets around all the mounting tabs and glued in the mounting nuts to make it easier to take apart and put together. It's been 2 years now. Still solid as a rock.

JB Weld is our friend.
Well, good to hear, I will have to try JB weld I guess. I'm talking about a repair that can take a pretty good impact though, and I can't imagine JB weld is any stronger than the actual plastic being melted together.
Dan

Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Well, good to hear, I will have to try JB weld I guess. I'm talking about a repair that can take a pretty good impact though, and I can't imagine JB weld is any stronger than the actual plastic being melted together.
Dan
i think it actually IS stronger. I have used it on Exhaust manifolds in boat engines, outboard boat motor cases, my trucks integrated mud flaps, and now my '09 shrouds, and I think the area I fixed is stronger than the actually plastic. It doesn't look great (you can see the crack from the other side), but it is strong...matter of fact fell again last weekend on the same spot, and another piece of the shroud chipped off, but the repaired part seemed fine.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction

Still going strong.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jxg
i think it actually IS stronger. I have used it on Exhaust manifolds in boat engines, outboard boat motor cases, my trucks integrated mud flaps, and now my '09 shrouds, and I think the area I fixed is stronger than the actually plastic. It doesn't look great (you can see the crack from the other side), but it is strong...matter of fact fell again last weekend on the same spot, and another piece of the shroud chipped off, but the repaired part seemed fine.
OK, if you hit it hard enough to break some thing else and the repair held, that's good enough for me to give it a try.
Neil that's a nice clean repair. Looks like it will hold up to some crashes too.
I have the Bucky DS ride this coming weekend, so maybe I'll be doing some plastic repair next week.
Dan

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

JB weld is the bomb.
I have used it on underwater DPV's to fix cracks and missing chunks and it has not leaked on dives up to 100meters. I generaly beef up the repair either with small lenghts of stainless tig welding rod or just structuraly make it thicker and flare out where possible. I only use stainless to avoid rust in saltwater.

Cheers Jim

But I would like to be able to weld plastic so I may look into a plastic welder.

Nice job on the repairs.

Jim

Quick Reply: Repairing plastics, welding plastics