Removing handlebar plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikesova
I happened to have the correct tap for the bolts that come with the tusk guards that I received today (8MM x 1.25). I drilled the hole out and started tapping. I was taking my time and I broke the tap off in the plug...GRRR.

So now, I'm probably going to go buy some dremel stuff to grind the welds off. I'm kind of bummed, I was liking the idea of keeping the weights in there because the bars aren't vibratey now as it is and I'm scared that it will get bad...

After several hundred miles of paved and dirt riding, I have noticed absolutely *ZERO* effect after removing the weights! Dremel would have been the way to go from the start...

Old 10-25-2011, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I bought a dremel grinding bit, an ez out (to try and remove the broken tap), a new tap and the correct drill for the tap. I may just grind the welds and remove the plugs to make it easier (and then I can take back 15$ worth of stuff).

Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Dremel will be done in 10 minutes. Anything else you try will take hours, and exhaust your 4-letter vocabulary...

Old 10-25-2011, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I ground off the welds and I'm beating it with a 5/8" bolt. It's not moving. I wonder if that is because there is a tap stuck inside the plug...

Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikesova
I ground off the welds and I'm beating it with a 5/8" bolt. It's not moving. I wonder if that is because there is a tap stuck inside the plug...
Ooh, that doesn't sound good. I ground my welds, and then tapped an awl in the hole. It broke the slug loose, and stuck the awl just tight enough to pull the slug out with it stuck on the awl. I did have to clean up the broken welds on the bar a little bit to get the slug to slide out easily.

Sounds like yours somehow swelled up. Are you sure you got the welds all cut? I literally tapped mine with a very small ball-peen hammer. I wanted it to stick on the awl so I gave it a quick rap...

Old 10-26-2011, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Ooh, that doesn't sound good. I ground my welds, and then tapped an awl in the hole. It broke the slug loose, and stuck the awl just tight enough to pull the slug out with it stuck on the awl. I did have to clean up the broken welds on the bar a little bit to get the slug to slide out easily.

Sounds like yours somehow swelled up. Are you sure you got the welds all cut? I literally tapped mine with a very small ball-peen hammer. I wanted it to stick on the awl so I gave it a quick rap...
I ground the welds off and nothing was happening, so I used my grinder cut off wheel and took 1/8" off the end to make sure the welds were gone. I've since drilled a couple "relief" holes in the plug and still no go. I guess I could take a pipe cutter to it and take another 1/4" off and then I could hopefully pull it out with some vice grips...sheesh...maybe I better just get some new bars...

Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Used a pipe cutter to cut off a chunk, so I could get at the plug with vice grips, to no avail. On the bright side, I tried it on the other side with the pipe cutter and it worked fine. It's probably what I should have done in the first place. I have a set of TUSK t-10 aluminum bars on the way...

Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I used a 5/8 bit, came right out.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm thinking that the tap that broke off is pushing pressure outward causing the plug to be siezed. ahh well. I should have taken my time. Just one of life's lessons.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Kawasaki must have really varied the steel in those plugs if some people have been successful tapping them. Mine were super hard and there was no way I'd have been able to tap them without breaking the tap.

Quick Reply: Removing handlebar plugs