Removing the Flywheel Weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Removing the Flywheel Weight

OK, so I noticed from pictures......as long as the pictures were accurate, and I saw correctly (the pictures weren't that great) that there appears to be quite a sizable flywheel weight. If that were removed that would give the bike alot of snap. Add a pumper carb and SHAZAAM! Yes, thats right, I said shazaam.

I wander if the 300 has this weight? Possible switch out the 250's wheel for the 300's?
________
Ipad guides

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

If you lighten the rotor it will spin up quicker but torque will suffer. (Torque, why 4 stroke s are good for dirt.)
What picture did you see?
What weight do you refer to?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, I'm sure the MX 4 strokes have nice light flywheels.

I was just doing some searches somewhere, don't remember where it was....and there were photos of a 250S flywheel.
________
Herbalaire

Old 10-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

go a head and try it out.... let us know how it turns out.... lol....

Old 10-31-2008, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I will later on down the road. Most likely during winter. Providing of course there is a weight on there, which I"m pretty sure there is. Its most likely not bolted on either, I'm sure its riveted or something. Thats alright. I'll just have it machined off.
________
Creampie german

Old 11-01-2008, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

A guy I work with has swapped the flywheel on his DRZ to a lighter aftermarket one. He was asking me if I had considered doing that to my klx. I haven't ever seen anything here on the board about that. I have been meaning to post up a thread asking if anyone has done it.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I know guys who've added larger weights to their flywheels. Better power delivery for enduro. Yamaha has various bolt on weights for its YZ/YZF and WR bikes.
I can't see any weights on the flywheel/rotor from the picture Finger posted on his kickstarter mod write up.
Anyone else want to chip in?
Name:  DSC01019.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  108.5 KB

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 11-01-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat the hell is up with that???? yet another back-asswards kawasaki design. Flywheels don't normally sit like that. Thats inside out and backwards.

Anyway, the weight (if it exists) is on the other side of the flywheel. facing in toward the motor

Thats freaking messed up, I've been in alot of motors and not once have I ever seen a flywheel like that. The stator thingy there is suppose to sit stationary on the motor and the flywheel is suppose to fit over and round it like a cup, covering everything up, and all you see is a wheel. And the weights (if there are any) get bolt onto the outside.
________
Vaporizer wiki

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

ok, here's a '99 KLX 300 flywheel. Now, this isn't a very good picture either. Nothing is as good as seeing it in person, which is what I'm going to have to do to see if its removable or not. We'll anything is removable, but...whether its practical or not I should say. And thats providing this is the same as the 250 flywheel. Which as I type this I realize, being these A-holes put this flywheel on backwards if you take that weight off it won't fit right. Normally the wheel sits the other way as I stated above and it doesn't matter. Oh well, It can be at least machined down all around the outside and just leave the spindle area alone. Thats a definite possibility. ANd then after its machine down, some shavings could even be taken off of the outside edge to make it smaller in diameter. But anyway, that appears to me to be one large weight on there.

________
Amateur model

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
If you lighten the rotor it will spin up quicker but torque will suffer. (Torque, why 4 stroke s are good for dirt.)
What picture did you see?
What weight do you refer to?
ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!!

If you go to the KTM forum you will read about several guys who have installed heavier flywheels so that the power is more "manageable" and smooth. The power of a MX'er is not the best senario for a woods bike.
I'll take my torquey tractor power in the woods any day. jmo

Quick Reply: Removing the Flywheel Weight