Removing the airbox forever?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

LOL Dookie You can get on the bathroom scale before you crap and then again afterwards to check how much "weight" you saved.

Seriously though , do it , take pics , let us know how it works. I mean the air filter, not the dookie. Deej puts up enought dookie pics.
I think the only benefit is that it will look cool, but hey thats reason enough for me.
Dan

Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I think the only benefit is that it will look cool, but hey thats reason enough for me.
Dan
Agreed

Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Don't come here much but myself and tremor just look cool! Oh by the way I picked up 1.7 hp but my result are not what you normally see.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome...

Gotta measure the carb to see what size filter i need to order..

hopefully soon

Old 11-13-2009, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

If I ever sm my klx I would be putting on the pod filter.

As far as losing weight goes, taking weight off of your self is not the same as losing weight from the bike.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by marc11
Well you would be guessing wrong since I had PODS in my Z1 and ZRX. First off tuning for them was a huge PITA, second, having to check the weather and worry about or not ride on any day where there was a chance of rain was a second PITA, third, in cross winds it was a known fact that at least on these bikes you would get starvation (head to the ZRX site and read for yourself) and third, washing the bike was a PITA since you had to be sure to cover the filters 100%.

I don't know about you guys, but I have been caught in unexpected rain many times. Weatherman says 10% chance of rain, so I ride to work and it is pouring out when I am ready to head home. It happens.

I am also wondering if there really is a benefit? It looks great, but will you see ANY power gains over a good filter and an open airbox lid?

His bike, he can do what he wants, but he asked for opinions, more than one counts, no?

No, I'm not 'guessing wrong.' No 'guessing' involved here, Mark .

I ride the same bike he rides...a KLX...not a 4 carb ZRX. I have had none of the problems you speak of in over 24,000 miles of riding with a direct filter in a lot of windy and rainy weather.

I feel absolutely no difference of power in cross winds either. I believe you when you said your 4 carb ZRX was a b*tch to tune, but you're comparing apples to oranges. It took about 30 minutes to get my single carb KLX dialed-in and the jetting wasn't far-off to start with.

Let the guy play. You're acting like this is armageddon

Old 11-14-2009, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

That's what I said in a previous post...

Were talking about a single carb single cylinder 250cc bike.

Not a 600-1000cc superbike

Old 11-14-2009, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Tremor, you're quick with the attitude, aren't you? Your exact words a page ago were "I'm guessing that most of the alarmist responses are coming from people who've never tried it. " and my response was directly your "guess" comment.

I have tried pods in the past, Dready asked for reasons why or why not to try this, I was giving mine from what I have had in the past. Some of my findings on past bikes are apples to apples to this bike (riding in the rain and washing the bike and honest power improvement) and some aren't. Less work on a single carb, sort of, but still work.

But frankly, Dready is really only interested in hearing people tell him to do this, not in listening to the reasons why he shouldn't so good luck to him, but when you ask for opinions, you should expect to get positive and negative taking both with a grain of salt since you have no idea if the person on the other side of the screen knows what the heck they are talking about.

Last edited by marc11; 11-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

(without reading back the entire thread, sorry) One of the functions of an airbox is it supports the carb. Maybe not an issue on a street only bike. But if your banging and bouncing around offroad having the support is a good thing. I've run pods on sled motors and never had a carb come off, but have had the rubber crack and chased a lean out problem from the carbs vibrating at a certain speed.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

yea that was one of the problems with the blast...carb support...but we figured that out..the klx has a better carb connection "boot" so should be a piece of cake