removed backfire screen, windshield report

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default removed backfire screen, windshield report

Finally got to ride the KLX with the new signals, windscreen, and removed backfire screen.

Wow, that backfire screen makes a huge difference. Didn't notice much down low, but 1/2-full throttle holy sh_t! The KLX revs much quicker and pulls harder. I increased the main jet from a #125 to a #128 to compinsate for increased air flow.I don't think I need to adjust the needle or pilot jet. I might try and screw the pilot jet out 1/4-1/2 turn to see if it changes. I will pull the plug to see its status.

Serious guys, if you have air box mods, exhaust, basic carb mods, and haven't removed the backfire screen, do it. One $25CDN Twin Air filter, $10CDN main jet, and some time to remove the backfire screen and your laughing.

The windscreen works well to. I hit 90-100km/hr and there was definately less wind resistance. Oddly at 50-60km/hr there was some turbulance with the screen, but nothing uncomfortable. The signals well, love that tight, clean look.

Enjoy, and get on it.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 AM
Default RE: removed backfire screen, windshield report

Does thewind hitting the windscreen make the bike unstable on the highway? And are you able tomaintain highway speeds with the extra wind resistance? I'll bet its nice behind that thing when it's cold outside.

I think I am going to remove my backfire screen also.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:56 AM
1st Gear Member

At 90-100km/hr the bike felt stable. At 50-60km/hr there was some weird turbulance, but not dangerous, uncomfortable, or annoying. The windscreen doesn't add wind resistance, it cuts it down. That perfectly smooth shield directs air around your rough, flat chest. It felt smoother at higher speeds. If I was planning to hit the highway I'll use the windscreen. If I'm hitting slower trails or roads I'll take it off. Uninstall takes 5min. It was pretty cold here today and with only two layers on, the wind didn't cool the body core so quickly.

The screen is the larger windscreen for the Kawasaki KLR650. $125CDN

Old 03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

At 90-100km/hr the bike felt stable. At 50-60km/hr there was some weird turbulance, but not dangerous, uncomfortable, or annoying. The windscreen doesn't add wind resistance, it cuts it down. That perfectly smooth shield directs air around your rough, flat chest. It felt smoother at higher speeds. If I was planning to hit the highway I'll use the windscreen. If I'm hitting slower trails or roads I'll take it off. Uninstall takes 5min. It was pretty cold here today and with only two layers on, the wind didn't cool the body core so quickly.

The screen is the larger windscreen for the Kawasaki KLR650. $125CDN
Can you post the model and part number of the windscreen? That might be a good addition for my cross country trip to Nikko this summer. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 AM

"The windscreen doesn't add wind resistance, it cuts it down"

That makes sense. Don't know what I was thinking. I just remember getting my first street bike (Honda 550 4K) and it had aBIG aftermarket screen on it and the thing was like a brick wall when you hit the highway. It also made the bike wobble when the wind would change directions. I took it off and it was night and day.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greenmachine
...and removed backfire screen.
Backfire screen? You mean, you removed the Spark Arrestor?!?!?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

No, the backfire screen is a metal screen between the air filter and the carburetor. You can see it in the air box if you remove your air filter. Removing the screen is supposed to make your engine breath easier due to less restriction of air intake.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:53 PM

I can't speak for greenmachine, but I have the National Cycle Deflector DX windscreen that I take on and off my bike. I gotthe N2594 which is the clear version for 7/8" bars. It is also available in smoke tint (N2595 - I think). Both versions are available for 1" bars as well.

Here are some pics.
Name:  IMG_8360.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8323.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8324.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8328.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8333.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  31.8 KB

I have never had any instability with the shield. It is rock solid at any speed. It comes on and off very easily with the quickset hardware (2 ***** on either side of the handlebar mount).

Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 AM
Default RE: windshield

Thanks for the nice battery of close up pics re: windshield. That would be agreat addition! Looks extremely easy to install/remove.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: windshield

I would say the windscreen that cwgoff has is better than mine. In Canada your on your own alot when you what parts for the KLX. Different market and avaliability. I found what I thought would work. Its not pretty, but it does the job. My windscreen does look smaller than cwgoff.

range of years, KLR650 extended large windscreen, part#K46001-085, $125CDN roughly

whichever you get, if you like to hit the highway the windscreen is a nice addition.

Quick Reply: removed backfire screen, windshield report