remove CS sprocket w/o chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I got one of them electric impact guns...it works pretty well...although I did not have it at the time I first swapped out the CS sprocket....I am going with the chain, but not going to put the swingarm back on at this point. I will use a length of 4X4 under the frame and wrap the chain around this. Perhaps I will video tape the event...lol...either it'll be funny as hell or useful for the rest of the dummies who follow in my footsteps...haha

Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudjunkie
either it'll be funny as hell or useful for the rest of the dummies who follow in my footsteps...haha
That's what this site is all about. Good luck, and yeah , let us know how it went.
Dan

Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member

You will be fine. My only concern is that an electric wont have enough oomph. My air powered IR2135ti had ta rattle a bit before she ripped it free.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ryathis
You will be fine. My only concern is that an electric wont have enough oomph. My air powered IR2135ti had ta rattle a bit before she ripped it free.
I used an electric impact wrench to remove my CS sprocket nut and it worked great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45252

Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah...still haven't tackled it yet....lol I have been concentrating on other stuff at the moment, like treating the electrical connections, and touching up the rad guards. I wil definately post pics of the bike when done, maybe even a previous pic to see how it look compared to last summer. II have the swingarm bearings greased and painted the swingarm and clear-coated it so I may just wait until it is re-installed c/w rear tire and put the old chain on temporarily before removing the front CS sprocket. But we'll see what happens this week....lol I think the bike is gonna look pretty goood when all is said and done. I am even having thoughts of removing the exhaust and polishing the muffler and giving the header and mid-pipe a coat of high heat black as they are the dirtiest parts on the bike at the moment....lol

Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

new sprocket is on...and I did it w/o rear wheel/tire on. First I tried the breaker bar with bike in gear, but even giving the bar a swift bump only resulted in the engine turning over. So I decided to give the impact a go...I figured the worst thing that could possibly happen is it would turn over quicker than using the breaker bar. Hit the magic trigger and voila...nut off in a jiffy. So I am sorry to disappoint you guys who hoped to see aa you-tube video of me doing cartwheels in my garage, but I am more than happy with the results so far....lol I have the bike nearly back together, s I will post some pics when I have it completed. Not much changed in looks, but she did get a well desereved service. I still have to tweak the rear chain guide a bit toi get the sprocket/hub to clear it. I had broken the OE guide and installed an aftermarket guide, but am just noticing now the hub is rubbing it.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mudjunkie
So I am sorry to disappoint you guys who hoped to see aa you-tube video of me doing cartwheels in my garage.
Trying to hide my disappointment.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Can't disclose what exactly yet because of patent issues, but I've got a product in development to solve this particular irritation.

Got prototypes on bikes, but the 'global cooling' in North America has reduced available testing hours. So far no problems, however.

I'm shooting for product available mid July.