remove CS sprocket w/o chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
1st Gear Member
Default remove CS sprocket w/o chain

Yes I am lazy...I know there are threads on this topic...but is there anyone who has removed the CS sprocket while the bike did not have a chain installed? My bike is on the stand w/o chain or rear wheel and I have a new front sprocket to install...can it be safely removed with the impact gun as it sits? Thanks again for any help.

Jason

Old 02-09-2010, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

How do you propose to keep it from spinning while you hit it with an impact?

I know you're not thinking of leaving it in gear and beating it with an impact ... right?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

What FM is sayin' : DON'T put it in gear and hit with the impact!!
The safest thing to do is go back a couple of steps; reinstall the chain and rear wheel, have the bike on the ground, out of gear, have a buddy APPLY the brakes (front wheel might have to be against an immoveable object) and use a breaker bar with a cheater to remove the nut (1 1/16" 6 point 1/2" drive impact socket). Get the cheater so all the slack is gone and give a strong sharp TUG!! Or position so the cheater is just above parallel to the ground and put your weight on it, just don't lose your balance. There are a couple of threads on the nut removal already.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok...how bout this

Wrap chain around sprocket and have Wife hold chain while you hit sprocket with impact.....set camcorder on record before attempting and post on You Tube.......with proceeds from You Tube views....buy a new ktm smoker and hot young costa rican wife.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

YouTube pays for views??!! NICE!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah...I was thinking of hitting it with the impact anyway, but thats when the light bulb came on and said..."you should probably ask a few people who may have something more intelligent to say"...lol I think I will hack the old chain and perhaps wrap it around the swingarm and install the master link to help hold it. That should definately keep the sprocket from spinning...and leaving it in neutral shouldn't hurt either....then there won't be any movement of the piston, etc. thoughts?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Leave it neutral; avoids any stress on the tranny.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Ya, I'd say put the chain back on. I didn't have anyone around to hold the brake pedal for me, so I put the bike on the jack and used a tie down strap to pull the brake pedal down. It took some serious hammering with an impact gun to get the nut loose and it seems like it would have been really unhealthy for the engine and tranny to take all that abuse.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

As mentioned, do not place the tranny in gear and expect the shift forks to be any good afterwards. I too prefer the chain being in place, holding the rear brake and the impact wrench method. Also, do not attempt to place a screwdriver or a punch through the CS hole to try to wedge it against the case somehow. The case is not going to be strong enough. If you do not plan on reusing the CS, you could use your chain wrench on the sprocket in combination with the impact. But also as mentioned, you had better be prepared for YouTube if you do not leverage it correct. lol good luck

Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

How about leave it in neutral, and using prybar under swingarm for support keep firm pressure against sprocket. Then give it to her with a good impact gun. When I removed mine I didn't even need to apply rear brake. just the tire resistance alone was enough. Of course I had a fairly good gun running off a 60 gal compressor thru 3/8 airline. Same gun if used on small compressor- forget about it. Ya need the airflow.

Quick Reply: remove CS sprocket w/o chain