Relocating the footpegs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey, I like the hammer idea!

I do have the bars cranked up all the way - 2" Rox risers and Tusk ATV bars (nice bars, btw). Plus I have a tall seat from Guts Racing. And slightly rearset pegs. So I have all the available the bases covered and I still want to get my feet back under me a bit more. I have a KLR650 on which I moved the pegs back and down an inch on and it's a good fit. Wouldn't it be nice if bikes came with adjustable pegs. I don't know, maybe there's a good reason for welding them on in one place - and sturdiness isn't it; it wouldn't be hard (if you have a machine shop at your disposal) to make a bombproof bolt-on system that featured an inch or so of vertical and horizontal adjustment. Yeah, it would add cost, so maybe make it an aftermarket farkle. But the peg mounts would have to be bolted on in the first place (like on the right side of the KLX) instead of welded (like on the left).

I've got to talk to a fab shop on this. Sorry for the ramble.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

im 6'1 and i have no problem, try rolling you bars forward, it will give you some more room. it sounds stupid but dont underestimate it

Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
i... try rolling you bars forward, it will give you some more room. it sounds stupid but dont underestimate it
Thanks FG. I have done that too, and they are pretty good where they are. Rolled too far forward they feel weird in the hands. Maybe I'll fiddle with that some more but I'd still like those footpegs back a bit. Maybe just an inch, just to try it. It's a shame that footpegs just don't have some adjustability built into them. You have three points of contact on a bike - butt, hands, and feet. You can adjust the first two - the seat you can move up or down or reshape, handlebars can be move up or down, in or out (wider or narrower), and forward and back - but the foot position? Fixed for all intents and purposes. So one is left with the prospect of hacking and welding to get them where you want them. I wonder if pro riders do this.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I am with you on relocating them. I have a buddy who moved the pegs on his ST1100 street bike. What a difference.
I am also 6'1", and still cant get comfortable zand find my balance center on the KLX. I have not put a riser on yet, but do have Renthal riser bars on it.
I do fabrication/engineering for a living. . . . . . . . . . . .

Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
I do fabrication/engineering for a living. . . . . . . . . . . .
Hmmm........

Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Footpeg relocation done - moved back two inches:

Prelim impressions: more nimble, better balanced, and wheelies easier. I feel like I'm standing where I need to instead of scrunched up over the tank. Gotta run but I can up more details later.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Okay, I wrote up a lengthy ride report extolling the virtues of the new rear-set pegs - then my computer crashed and I lost the whole thing. So you're getting the abbreviated synopsis:

The bike is way better balanced. I'm not hanging onto the bars anymore trying to balance on the ***** of my feet. My feet are under my hips where they belong. It's much easier to get the front wheel light and skim it over rocks and ruts. Steep climbs are easier, tight turns are easier, tight turns ON steep climbs are easier, downhills are easier because I can get my butt back better. I've been messing around on a rock pile (pic) and found myself riding off the top on the rear wheel, landing sweet as can be. Amazing what you can do when your feet are firmly planted on the pegs. In short, the bike handles a whole lot better now. For me that is - YRMV. (And to be fair I've had a number of nose first landings off the rock pile as well - such is the learning curve.)

Clint of Road King Welding in Coalville, UT. did the work and he did a pretty slick job. On the right side he simply drilled a hole in the frame and repositioned the peg bracket back the requested two inches, crafting an angled spacer to fit between the bracket and the frame. On the left he chopped off the peg mount and re-welded it to the kickstand bracket (I lost the kickstand shutoff switch - oh well.) AND I can still get at the suspension linkage bolts with a 19 mm socket and ratchet. Bonus! He charged me $90, btw. Worth it.

Conclusion: A whopping Two Big Thumbs Up!!

Here's the practice rock pile. It's there to keep vehicles from skirting a fence line. The "trial-ized" KLX scoots right over it!

Last edited by Guido; 06-24-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I really like the "trialized" KLX! I like it a lot....
Might end up taking my bike more towards that direction too.

Could you take photos of the foot pegs, and their new location, straight from side? Camera level with the ped, looking straight towards the bike.
That would help to get a more clear view of where the footpegs now are.

--
Mikko

Old 06-24-2010, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Mikko - Here's the best I have right now. In the "after" picture you have to look hard to see the peg. Its the bronce colored thing above the dog bone suspension link:

Before:

After:

Here's a closer shot. The picture angle is not quite dead on from the side. The rear edge of the peg actually lines up just about with the axis of the rear brake cylinder.

Clint positioned the right side first and then matched up the left. I'll get some better shots of both later today. As well as ending up 2 inches back the pegs came up maybe a half inch. That wasn't my intention, in fact I probably would have prefered them lower, but the higher position actually enhances the "trialy" feel and I like it. It definitely feels like a go-anywhere trail bike now.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I really like the "trialized" KLX! I like it a lot....
Might end up taking my bike more towards that direction too.

Could you take photos of the foot pegs, and their new location, straight from side? Camera level with the ped, looking straight towards the bike.
That would help to get a more clear view of where the footpegs now are.

--
Mikko
Here you go Mikko, two from each side:

Quick Reply: Relocating the footpegs