rejetting carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Default rejetting carb

I'm rejetting my carb and would like to know the quickest way to get access w/o to much disassembly

Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Remove the carb

Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Red gets right to the point! That's what needs to be done.
Find some "how to" in the stickies.
I used this one: Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums

Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

The only quick way is practice. Take all plastics, tank, move wire harness, loosen some clamps, and take the throttle cables, and pull easy

Old 01-20-2012, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Removing the carb always reminds me of heart surgery, not that I have direct experience with that. But there's not much room in there.

You can get at the jets by taking off the throttle cables, loosening the clamps, and rotating the carb so the bottom points to the right. But you will have a more difficult time with the float and float needle falling out. If it's your first time just pull the carb and get to know the little thing. With all the tubes hanging off of it it kind of looks like a small heart.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Take it out.... really.... you will probably have to adjust the jetting anyway. Ive taken mine out so much that i can have it out and back in after rejetting in 20 minutes. piece of cake. It comes out of the top, by the way.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Guido - I always call it the heart. Duder - Just do it right man. Take from the top out. After you do it once or twice, you will pull it out in a new york minute. Longest time for me is getting the god damn vent hoes and/or flow lines back through the rear. One time I rushed and my vent line was to close to the exhaust, ended up melting it a bit and causing a clot, however, I caught it early and fixed it.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

The hardest part for me is getting it back in the air filter side boot (whatever that thing's called) when I'm putting it back in. Just a whole lot of wiggling and squirming to make it go in (did you ever think that playing with your carb could be so much fun?). And those clamp screws! Next time I'm in there I'm going to replace those worthless stripped phillips head screws with a couple of 4mm allen screws, if I can find them.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Red gets right to the point! That's what needs to be done.
Find some "how to" in the stickies.
I used this one: Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums
Great help! This ones a real keeper!!! Thanks!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 AM
1st Gear Member

You guys all having a hard time getting it in or pulling it out? Here's a couple thoughts. A little bit of the right lubrication goes a long ways and you really should think more about that. And the right tool helps mightily when trying to slide it into the airbox boot without hanging up. Some use a screwdriver, but I think a bicycle tire iron really does the trick. It doesn't pinch into the boot and has a good spoon shape to pull/push the boot into place.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-24-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: rejetting carb