Rejet comments from Dyno Jet

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm running a 130 Mikuni & 32.5 pilot, BB 34 Mikuni, stock everything. I think where you run your screw determines your pilot, after you get it backed out near all the way, you need bigger; if you barely crack it you need smaller.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Red Brigade
Interesting, everytime i go to the nearest Kawi dealer they always want to put in a 40 pilot.
Same here when I just picked up a 2012 KLX250S recently.
No mention of other jetting though.
Still trying to get my head around the best combination here in Calgary and surrounding mountains.
I see "rgoers" is as close as I seem to get to Calgary altitude.
Howard.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Stopped by the dealer to get a bigger pilot and I was told "there are no options for pilots for your bike. Theres only one size". Whats with that?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ianmcdca
Stopped by the dealer to get a bigger pilot and I was told "there are no options for pilots for your bike. Theres only one size". Whats with that?
A parts man who doesn't know how to look around in other CVK carbed bikes to find an optional size for your KLX. That said, while quite a few have installed bigger pilot jets than the OEM 35 size, most even with big bore kits seem to find that the 35 is more than sufficient. Among the biggest carb tuning impacts for the OEM CVK carb are replacing the lousy OEM needle and drilling out the starter jet. After that, matching the needle position and main jet to the given bike's modifications are also obviously quite important.

The KLX can still run quite well with an overly rich jetting setup, but I think that's why we hear some of the mileage complaints as a result.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ianmcdca
see my post #20 on this thread: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...q-links-30733/

Originally Posted by TNC
A parts man who doesn't know how to look around in other CVK carbed bikes to find an optional size for your KLX. That said, while quite a few have installed bigger pilot jets than the OEM 35 size, most even with big bore kits seem to find that the 35 is more than sufficient. Among the biggest carb tuning impacts for the OEM CVK carb are replacing the lousy OEM needle and drilling out the starter jet. After that, matching the needle position and main jet to the given bike's modifications are also obviously quite important.

The KLX can still run quite well with an overly rich jetting setup, but I think that's why we hear some of the mileage complaints as a result.
So, so true. Tried the #38 with the 250 and 351 and way too rich for both. My riding buddy had his KLX300 fitted with a "power up" kit from Carls Cycle here and they actually dropped the pilot jet from #35 to the next smaller size. More snap off the bottom when properly set up.

The #38 let the bike start so easy (no need for choke most the time) but it sure was rich and the rear fender black.