rejet, bike starves for fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default rejet, bike starves for fuel

Finally took my 2007 KLX250 in for a rejet. Has a 2bros slip on, and put a twin air filter on before hand. Bought the KLX300 Dynojet kit in for them to install, asked them to start with the standard set up keeping the airbox lid on.
They had a dyno and said it took a while to tune, went from 18.6 to 20.4 or 19.9 horse depending on which of their charts I used, they said it wasn't near as lean as before.
Bike ran great after picking it up, no huge increase in power but throttle response was better and no backfiring on deceleration. About what I hoped for.
After 1 mile the bike started to die, felt like the fuel tap was shut off. Piulled over, checked fuel tap, won't start. Finally started with choke on, ran 200yds, died again.
Started limping back to dealer, wait 2 minutes, put choke on, go 200yds, repeat.
Mechanic looks at bike, agrees no fuel. Bikes starts working again without choke. he thought maybe dirt in jet? Started home again, dies after 2 miles! Limp back to dealer again!
Waiting to hear what they find, any ideas what may be happening?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Diagnosing problems from behind the keyboard isn't easy. If it was me, I'd start at the beginning. Does fuel come out of the tank and enter the carb? If so, maybe something in the carb is dirty. Maybe the carb boots aren't seated properly and you have an air leak.

It could be a lot of things. Many, but not all, mechanics tend to rush through a job. My rule of thumb is, if at all possible, do the work myself. Even if I need to buy special tools and it ends up costing me more - I'll own the tools and gain the knowledge and experience.

No one is born with the ability to fix motorcycles, people learn by trying. You will get frustrated and make mistakes but eventually you'll figure it out. If you prefer to have the dealer do your work for you, that's fine but it's their problem. Why ask us to solve it? It's not like you're going to go tearing it apart yourself now, are you?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Not asking you to solve anything, and if giving ideas it too much of a bother for you don't bother to reply at all. Unless you just like to lecture.
When I retire I'll work on my bike more, right now its either ride, fish, hunt with my spare time or work on the bike.
Just looking for feedback to be better informed to deal with the dealer.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Your bike is starving for fuel probably from the supply. Tank could be having vent problems, you can tell by just opening the cap, it should run normally.

Not starting, Stalling while driving and only running with the choke on are all indicators of lack of supply. Plugged filter could be the problem, stuck float or needle and seat in carb could also do it. Pinched line from the tank to the carb....\

David

Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, Did they have to pull the tank to work on the carb?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by old man
right now its either ride, fish, hunt with my spare time
Heh, sounds like me.. My weekends are riding one day, fishing on my boat the next I was unemployed for the past two years - the best two years of my life!! I had two summers off and every day was riding or fishing. Too bad I gotta work now

Ok, back to regularly scheduled programming.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Sure sounds like a kinked or pinched vent line and like David said open the fuel cap and if it fixes it there ya go.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

could be something as simple as the bowl float/float needle...

Old 06-30-2011, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by old man
Not asking you to solve anything, and if giving ideas it too much of a bother for you don't bother to reply at all. Unless you just like to lecture.
When I retire I'll work on my bike more, right now its either ride, fish, hunt with my spare time or work on the bike.
Just looking for feedback to be better informed to deal with the dealer.
I think you mistook my question for sarcasm. I thought you may have been considering actually working on it yourself and I was only trying to encourage that. It certainly wasn't my intention to lecture you. I did try to make some logical suggestions for you - because you asked for help solving the problem.

Best of luck to you, or the dealer. Maybe you can just forward the link to this thread directly to him and we can cut out the middle man. (that's sarcasm)

Last edited by akarob; 06-30-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem. Thanks for the replies. Wish I would have thought to pop the tank lid. Sure acted like fuel would feed then be held by a pinch or vacum.
I do hate trusting a dealer, and the local dealers are so backed up that I know the mechanic is pushing faster than I would.
Maybe I should look into one of those motorcycle mechanis school ads I see on Tv, I need a retirement career.

Quick Reply: rejet, bike starves for fuel