Registration???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Registration???

So Im about to get another klx250 as a trade for some work, but the thing has no papers and no numbers. Does anyone know how I might be able to get around this and maybe get it registered somehow???

And it's really not as shady as it sounds.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by novasteve
So Im about to get another klx250 as a trade for some work, but the thing has no papers and no numbers. Does anyone know how I might be able to get around this and maybe get it registered somehow???

Yup, get a buddy in the towing/repo biz ..... they get rebuilt titles for vehicles they impound all the time for people that walk away from the fees....hint.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure you wear gloves you handle that bike, cuz its hot.
________
MEXICO HOTELS

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I have to figure something out, I just couldn't pass up a deal like this I'm doing like $200 worth of work on this guys car for the bike and its an 06 with only 760 miles. and no its not stolen its just a really weird situation the guys grandfather is the original owner and lost his house in Nebraska due to illness so he moved here but during the move he lost the paper work then after being here for a little over a year he passed at the beginning of 07 and the bike just sat until it was stolen by a neighbor and when the kid seen the bike down the street in a garage he agreed not to call the cops in return he got the bike and $500 back but he got a bike back with no #'s. So now I need to figure out what to do with it.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:07 AM
1st Gear Member

SO ... the bike at some point was stolen then?

I don't know. From a third party perspective this sounds like a shady story. But...your the one there so if you can verify all of this first hand without a doubt than I guess,OK.

I don't know how in the hell your gonna get it setup if theres no way to tell what it is. We're gonna be useless to you here. My best advice I can think of is call your local DMV office. They are your best bet to tell you what to do. Tell them the same story you told us only more simplified. It was simply a recovered stolen vehicle and you need tags.
________
XXX AMATEUR MOVIES

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

go to a chopper shop... they build bikes, thats also the place to get a dirt bike plated for the street

Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

As Long as it's legit, Get a letter from the owner as you get the Bike telling that it was indeed his Grandfather's and the paperwork was lost. DMV will get you a new title. Plus, I believe there are hidden VIN's that may be on the bike somewhere. Either way it's a great deal.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd have the guy do the leg work to get a new title. If you do it your just asking for a gigantic headache. The vin # is stamped into the frame. It's vertical in the right side of the head stalk underneath the bottom triple clamp.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah there are no numbers on the bike at all it was stripped down and everything was ground off and smoothed over even all the #'s on the motor.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah there are no numbers on the bike at all it was stripped down and everything was ground off and smoothed over even all the #'s on the motor.
Wow. Yeah I wouldn't hold your breath. All the numbers shaven and it being stolen at least once, it'll be a major PITA to get it titled and licenced, IF you can. I'd make the other guy do the legal stuff before you took possession of it.

Quick Reply: Registration???