Redline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Redline?

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Wha? None of you guys have ever done this?? I have, I just did it out on our last big ride. You know you go to shift, and instead of 2nd you only get it to neutral and then you turn the throttle, and VROOMMMM!! goes the engine but your not going anywhere. It only happens for a split second until you pull the clutch back in. Come on, I know everyone has done this, you would be lying to say that you haven't!!
Yep 2 or 3 times a week, I heard there is a shifting star that can fix this, but I'm not sure if it is on our bikes or not.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej you know we are just raggin you bud and definately appreciate all your helpful posts more than you know.How do you like riding your wifes Xt? Have to say after really riding my ttr225 on the street I knew i had to find a better bike,but for someone just learning to ride or someone that has a height issue it's perfect.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:04 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hokie01

Deej you know we are just ragging you bud and definitely appreciate all your helpful posts more than you know. How do you like riding your wife's XT? Have to say after really riding my ttr225 on the street I knew i had to find a better bike, but for someone just learning to ride or someone that has a height issue it's perfect.
Of course I know you guys are just kidding. I really like riding the XT 225. While its underpowered, it is so quiet compared to the KLX that it feels likeI'm in stealth mode. [8D] The bike is perfect for the wife. She just needs to ride more in order to gain confidence.

Oh and I hope you don't mind, but I corrected the spelling and sentence spacing in your post, that's just how I roll.[sm=owned.gif][sm=wootwoot.gif]

Old 06-29-2007, 03:15 AM

Just about once a day riding. pulling wheelies in first slamming second and it hits nuetral.. ha thats no fun

Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan

The worst thing you can do to any engine is rev it too high in neutral. I believe the limiter is set at 9500 and supposedly a Vortex ignition is available and can get up to 11900 And the HP is still climbing on the Dyno. I read this a while ago on some website and I don't know how accurate it is but your missed 2nd test seems to support the limiter theory.
According to the dyno runs I've seen, the rev limiter begins to limit at10,500RPM via a sharp retard in the timing and totally cuts ignition at 11,000RPM. Chances are he was somewhere above 10,000RPM, but the analogue tack isn't responsive enougn to pick-up the transient.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Will, from what I hear Deej's wife is just calling to talk to your mom so she can have her tell you its time to clean your room.
And to add some value to this thread, I find the bike seems to pop out of second and back into neutral afterI shift and start to get on it. Not all the time but more often then I would like. I think over the winter the shifter star is coming out and getting the grinder treatment.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

The shifting is one of the issues that I had with this bike. When off road and in some pretty deep s**t it would miss and put me in a less desireable situation. Oh well, problem solved, new (old) bike! And loving it.