Recommendations on flush mount rear turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Recommendations on flush mount rear turn signals

In light of my stock turn signal starting to melt from the exhaust it's time to find a replacement. I'd like to find flush mount blinkers that will be away from the exhaust. Has anyone installed any and if so what brand? Will the wiring match up with aftermarket blinkers?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I took this approach after seeing it on several threads here. I was installing the Happy Trails LED light in this pic.

Name:  1027111948.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  77.9 KB

Old 05-01-2012, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's what I did:

Can't remember the brand, got them at local moto shop. Used 3M double sided automotive trim tape and a couple drops of CA to be sure.

Been on for over two years of hard riding and still strong.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I recommend not to put those small ones on the bike. The stock ones are 5 times brighter.

If you look real close in this picture you can see the low profile ones....no thanks, I want to be seen.

Name:  P2014334.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  86.3 KB

Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the stock ones being MUCH brighter!!! Cousinlarry's setup wouldn't fly in Utah either... there needs to be 6" between them to be legal!

I have a friend with after-market signals on his KLR... can't see them AT ALL, unless you're looking for them (and I know where they're mounted).

Being that most cagers can't even see a *whole motorcycle* on the roadways, I certainly wouldn't bet my life on them seeing tiny, dim, aftermarket lamps. YMMV

Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't get me wrong I'd like to keep my stock ones. The problem is my Q4 is starting to melt the blinker. It's only a matter of time.

I'm going to try and pull the smog equipment in the next day or so and see if that stops it.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Pulling the smog stuff is *supposed* to decrease the exhaust temps. Not sure by how much though...

I really wanted the Q4 for my '09, but reports of the signal melting are what steered me to the DEP pipe. I wanted the quietest pipe I could get, and the DEP is the only one I could find that touts the same dB numbers as the Q4. The DEP, however, is a much better design as far as keeping hot exhaust gasses away from the turn signals.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
The problem is my Q4 is starting to melt the blinker. I'm going to try and pull the smog equipment in the next day or so and see if that stops it.
I had the same problem with my TBR M-7 and we have no smog equipment on our bikes. I'm not sure what the end cap set-up is on a Q4, but I made a pipe to direct the exhaust gas behind the blinker. The P1X tip I brought with the M-7 allowed the exhaust to disperse directly behind the blinker. As you can see in the picture, the lens was starting to char. It's all good now though.

Attached Thumbnails Recommendations on flush mount rear turn signals-dsc04120.jpg   Recommendations on flush mount rear turn signals-dsc04124.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Check out SPEED METAL...they make a bunch of different shapes/style..My pipe did the melt thing and I put a pair of the little guys on...just as bright as stock...12 bucks..I also cut my front ones down,shorted them in half...

Old 05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

meh, I am on the road about 2% of my riding time.. Basically just to get from my house to the trails.. I don't care. What I want is durability and not having to fix/replace/re-attach after every ride like I did with the stockers or other protruding aftermarket blinkers.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on flush mount rear turn signals