Rear sprocket material

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Rear sprocket material

I think im going to get a 45 tooth rear sprocket, which also means a longer chain. What is the best material to get the rear sprocket in? Alumin? steel? and whats a good but not crazy expensive chain? i have searched but there is so much info........

Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rear sprocket material

proscons
steel lasts longer heavier
cheaper

alilighterwears out quicker
costs more

I have a DID chain it's a lot heavier construction than the stock 108 link for the 45 tooth

Old 06-09-2007, 03:43 PM

STEEL STEEL STEEL, Aluminum wears very quickly and should only be used for racing, Big marketing scam on this Item.
Notice Renthal and pro taper have the back cover of every magizine (Most expensive Page).

I would get a cheap steel 18$ rear sprocket from R/M and the RK O ring (Not Gold) Around $50

Then I would Grab some Elbow bads and Knee Gaurds to bring the cost to $100 so you get the free shipping.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep...Steel
Rocky Mt has some really good prices on the chain and sprocket. The RK is what I have and it seems to be wearing well I use the dirt tricks sprocket but its really pricy $100+. I think the regular steel sprocket will work just fine. Good call on the elbow/Knee gaurds.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:23 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

aluminum

Old 06-09-2007, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Get the steel sprockets from Rocky Mountain. Cheap, good quality,and lasts a long time. I used to run the name brand expensive aluminum sprockets and expensive chains and a few of us that ride together switched over to the RM brand and actually get longer life at a fraction of the cost. Just a personal observation, in the past I always ran O ring chains because they did better in the mud which we usually encounter on many rides during our season. I recently ran a standard non O ring chain for almost two seasons (should have replaced it after one as the mud kills them) and switched to an X ring chain towards the end of this season. My riding season is from October to May, too hot during the summer. After putting on the X ring I could tell a slight difference in power. The X ringobviously has more drag than a standard chain.After one ride I put the standard chain back on and could tell the difference again, more power. Mind you this is slight difference but noticeable. I like the O/X ring chainsbetter because they are quieter running, do much better in the mud, and last longer. With the RM stuff being so cheap I haven't decided if I will switch back to a standard chain and just replace it every year or not. I'm not sure the added "power" makes up for the advantages of the O/X ring chain with the type of riding I do.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Primary drive steel sprockets from Rocky Mtn [sm=smiley20.gif] [sm=smiley20.gif]

Only $18 and last forever - can't beat that with a stick!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:14 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

question about the non o-ring chains......
Whats the procedure for a new chain?

I have a 1979 RM400 thats just about finished on the resto but I need a chain for it. My buddies say to just get the non-oring chain like it came with factory. They say to soak it in oil for a couple days, then let drip for a couple days....is this correct or what is the procedure?

I really like the o-ring chains because you dont have oil and lube slinging everywhere, but damn I can get a non-oring chain for half the price.

btw....sorry for the hyjack Eric but my question is semi-related to the topic [8D]

Old 06-10-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

JB1 there is countless controversial opinions on chains and chain maintenance on all the different forums. From my experience a goodnon O ring chain is finebut they don't do nearly as well in extended mud rides. A lot depends on the type of riding you will be doing.I would say if you are setting up the RM for motocrossuse a regular chain and if you intend to trail ride I would use an O/X ring chain. AsI said before check RM for chain and sprockets. I havehad surprisingly good luck with them. You can get a complete set for less than just a name brand chain. As far as chain soak in oil, yes it works. I use to do that with my standard chains back in the early 80's. I usedheavy gear oil. As I got older I switched over to a good cleaning with chain lube and didn't notice any difference except being a little easier and cleaner. I also clean and lube my O/X ring chains with an O ring safe lube. You can find lubes that will not fling off and make a mess. I currently use Motul Off Road lube and it is very clean.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:40 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I allready have the new steel sprockets, I just need to decide on a chain. I have some PJ1 o-ring safe chain lube in the garage....so your saying just get the non-oring chain...take it out of the box and instead on soaking in oil just spray it with the chain lube?
If thats the case I will just get the non o-ring chain

Quick Reply: Rear sprocket material