Rear shock question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear shock question

Ok dumb question I know but is there any tricks to turning the large washer type things to tighten up my rear spring? I read on here that the bike is set up for a 165 pound person or something, and I am 190 and am bottoming out the bike on some woops and hard hits.

I have tried and tried to turn those things with no luck. I don't have the tool you can buy to do it, but I was hoping this wasen't nessesary. It is brand new and I have been trying to turn with the classic hammer and screw driver but I am just doing dammage to the slots. Is there some kind of trick or do I have to get the tool?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

i think all you have to do is put a screw driver or something of that nature on it and hit it to turn it.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

It helps if you try to turn the whole spring along with the nut once the lock nut is backed off.

David

Old 01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I have been doing the screw driver thing but it is just doing damage to the ring and not turning at all. Will give it another try. Just thought there might of been some trick to it

Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Put the bike on a stand to relieve some of the pressure on the spring. Back off the lock nut. Use your 3rd and 4th hands to put some compression on the spring to take pressure off the ring. Check to make sure the notched ring isn't hitting something else, like your airbox (which mine did with a stiffer spring when the ring was backed way off). Some use a brass punch as to not muck up the notches.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-19-2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: replaced lock "washer" with "nut." mybad
Old 01-18-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to clarify in case you were not aware there are two notched nuts. You need to back one off first before you can adjust the one against the spring. The one you back off is the "lock nut" or "lock washer" refered to in above posts. If you dont back it off you wont get the two of them to turn no matter how much you beat on them with hammer and screwdriver.

Also you may want to consider stiffer spring. I got the stiffer springs for mine and think it was money well spent.
Cheers Jim

Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Great, thanks for the info. I will try to compress the spring with something to take the pressure off. But were mine is new and never been ajusted before I figured I should be able to tighten it up pretty good, but would I be better off going with a new spring all together? MANINTHESEA----what did you go with for a back spring? What kind of money did it cost ya?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

the tool tat came with the bike worked good for me. It looks like a big hook.

BTW its for setting the proper sag if you can't get it right with this spring- you might need a heavier one.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya mine never cam with any tool for some reason

Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have any friends that also have bikes its a common tool for many many models
they might have it laying around

Quick Reply: Rear shock question