Rear Shock.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear Shock.

Hey guys, I have a small problem with my KLX.. When I get on it, the rear shock is toostiff so it goes right down.. As in, its really ugly when two people get on it. I tried the usual method of taping the two rings on the top of the shock with a screw driver and hammer but still no luck. Its kinds jammed on there.. Can someone please give me step by step details of how to remove the shock or anyother way to do it? Also if I remove the spring from the shock how do I pressurize it to put it back on?

Thanks,
Jamie

Old 07-09-2008, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Rear Shock.

Jamie,
It sounds like the spring is too soft. Your fix is the two rings. The upper ring needs to be turned counter-clockwise to seperate it from the bottom ring. Then the bike needs to be on a jack so the bottom ring can be turned clockwise and sent to the bottom of the shock. Then bring the top ring down to "jam" it next to the bottom ring. Don't try to move both rings initially. They must be seperated(at least a little)to start this process.This will stiffen the spring rate and make two-up riding much better. The shock is not an air shock so to speak and cannot change the stiffness by adding air(or gas). Fill out your signature tolet us know where you are located as someone nearby might be able to help.

You will get just keep at it

KLXelent

Old 07-09-2008, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to be clear, adding preload does not increase the spring rate, but yes you need to try adjusting your sag & if you cant get it you need a stiffer rate spring.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Use a punch to loosen the top spanner ring. Then grab the spring and turn it to tighten the lower spanner ring. When it gets to tight then use a punch if needed to increase preload on the spring.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I just went downstairs got one guy to hold the bike leaningonto the stand side, basically tipped over.. Then we loosened the top adjuster and then tightened the bottom one with the hand until I could and then hit it with the hammer.. It worked.. The problem was I kept the bike with the rear tire on the ground the other times I tried.. THANKS A MILLION GUYS!!

And I'm From Sri Lanka (In Asia)!

Thanksagain for the help guys!