Rear End Spring

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I believe i put the 6.2 spring in mine.
pretty sure this will work. i got mine off ebay.
DSP SHOCK SPRING 6.2 kg/mm CRF250 CRF450 KX250F CR250 | eBay

DSP SHOCK SPRING 6.0 kg/mm YZ250 KX250F YZ250F YZ450F RM125 YZ125 | eBay
Can anyone confirm if that ebay shock spring works with the KLX? there was no definitive yes.. I would like to order if so!

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Maybe I missed it on the ebay link, but I didn't see the KLX listed in any of those. If it is, could you point me closer to the listing?

Also, what year and model KLX do you have?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Maybe I missed it on the ebay link, but I didn't see the KLX listed in any of those. If it is, could you point me closer to the listing?

Also, what year and model KLX do you have?
bike is a 2009.. and you didnt miss it, it does not say klx. But firsth page it was suggested that it may fit... Thats a good price but would hate to be wrong on the purchase!

I also want to raise the bike an inch and will do the 300 dogbone to accomplish that. (going to do kx forks up front)

Old 05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If the guy would have listed the dimensions of the springs like the spring companies do, you'd be able to tell. There's a couple of ways to tell on spring compatibility. You can go to the Eibach site and download their fork and rear spring catalog. At the end of the whole catalog is a listing of all the series springs they make along with the dimensions of the springs. In the catalog under each listing for each year and model bike they show the series spring involved. Through some detective work you can tell if the size will fit another bike not listed. That Eibach catalog is fairly extensive. The '09 rear spring and fork springs are a different size than either the '06/'07 250S and the KLX300.

I will just about bet that none of those springs on that ebay site will fit the '09, but without dimensions to do some searching, you may never know.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:23 PM
1st Gear Member

just to ask,

what are the differences between a 06 and 09 rear? shock, swingarm? Or is it jsut the links making it lower?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

When looking for the spring, you have some latitude in its length. As long as it won't bind on full compression and will fit under the adjustment nut, it will be fine.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-30-2012, 11:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
When looking for the spring, you have some latitude in its length. As long as it won't bind on full compression and will fit under the adjustment nut, it will be fine.

Ride on
Brewster
Very true. I've run a KLX300 rear shock spring from Eibach and Race Tech on my '06 KLX250S. It's 15mm longer, and you just have to make sure the airbox is over to the right/exhaust side of the bike as far as it will go when you tighten the bolts. The lower preload nut and shock collar can make contact with the airbox/carb boot if the airbox has a bias over to the chain side of the bike.

revbilly, do you know what the length dimensions are on the '09 and later spring? It's in the shop manual, but I don't have that one. It's just the length of the spring that's different, as I'm sure the ID and OD dimensions are the same on all KLXs.

Edit: You also have to make sure they provide any shim collars that might be needed for the spring to properly match the top and/or bottom OEM hardware. Companies like Eibach and RT always send it with the spring from what I've experienced.

Last edited by TNC; 05-30-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC

Edit: You also have to make sure they provide any shim collars that might be needed for the spring to properly match the top and/or bottom OEM hardware. Companies like Eibach and RT always send it with the spring from what I've experienced.

That makes sense to me.. Maybe I'll just fork the extra 30 dollars at a quality purpose built spring. Thats not a whole lot of money really.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Revbillyg, how are you going to make the KX forks fit? Are you installing forks, triple clamps and make new wheel collars? Just wondering as I looked into it before sending off my suspension to Moto-Pro, but found that the KX forks were a couple millimeters larger in diameter at the mounting points.

My bike with the reworked suspension (for my weight and riding style) is a completely different ride. I am 225 and 6'3" and had about an inch and a half of preload (threads showing) on the rear shock/spring in order to have the rider sag in the suggested range. That's alot of stored energy!!1 Now with the proper rear spring for my weight the preload is at 13mm or so.

I have the stock fork springs and rear spring off of my 09 available if you need me to measure them and provide the data here.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyzee
Revbillyg, how are you going to make the KX forks fit? Are you installing forks, triple clamps and make new wheel collars? Just wondering as I looked into it before sending off my suspension to Moto-Pro, but found that the KX forks were a couple millimeters larger in diameter at the mounting points.

My bike with the reworked suspension (for my weight and riding style) is a completely different ride. I am 225 and 6'3" and had about an inch and a half of preload (threads showing) on the rear shock/spring in order to have the rider sag in the suggested range. That's alot of stored energy!!1 Now with the proper rear spring for my weight the preload is at 13mm or so.

I have the stock fork springs and rear spring off of my 09 available if you need me to measure them and provide the data here.
Yes, if you use KX or other forks with larger uppers and lowers, you have to use the triple clamp that comes with them. I've not heard of many/any of them being a straight bolt-on. It usually involves modding the steering stem to get it to work.

Like you, I just modded the existing fork with a complete revalve and springs and have been extremely happy with it. Adjustable rebound would have been nice, but it was the compression circuit that absolutely sucked. It's apparent that you can dig around and find old KX forks without too much effort or money. Still, I'll bet the damping and springing will still very likely need modding to match the rider and the KLX for most of us. I hate to use that old adage of trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but maybe even a diehard gearhead can perform a decent level of overkill on modding the KLX...not that I'd know anything about that...LOL!

Quick Reply: Rear End Spring