Rear disc brake rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rear disc brake rubbing

When I was cleaning my chain I noticed the rear wheel wasn't spinning freely. It seemed like the brake was applying light pressure preventing it from spinning freely. Is that normal? If not, is there an adjustment screw on the brake I can use to open it up so it's not rubbing on the disc?

Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Have you ever taken them off and cleaned lubed and made sure the caliper is free on the slides? thats important. There is a pin that goes through the end of the pads, make sure the pads are sliding free on that pin.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Have you ever taken them off and cleaned lubed and made sure the caliper is free on the slides? thats important. There is a pin that goes through the end of the pads, make sure the pads are sliding free on that pin.
I have never looked at the rear brake until I noticed this. What gets lubed? I'll look for the pin you're referring to.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

The caliper slides on the ...well... slides. the caliper needs to move freely on those. There are rubber boots keeping the grease in.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Disassemble, clean, and lube the sliders. Reassemble. Might be a good time to bleed the line while you're in the mood.

(I would pull the pads and clean the caliper piston area--gently--I like to use a very soft bristle toothbrush or even a paint brush to get the crud from the seal.)

Last edited by jeffzx9; 04-20-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm looking at the schematic and don't see where the "sliders" are located. Can someone be more specific to what needs to be lubed.

Attached Thumbnails Rear disc brake rubbing-screen-shot-2012-04-20-11.47.02-am.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Sometimes there's one pin in the center, sometimes there's two. Your brake pads either have a top central slider hole, or they're located like "dog ears" on the upper outer corners. Looking at the diagram (with my bifocals) it's kinda difficult to tell which you have (I don't own a KLX.) The pin(s) will have a tiny cotter pin in one end to hold it in the assembly. EMS suggests there are rubber boots holding the lube in. Typically they are accordian pleated so they will contract/expand as your sliders move. Put some slider lube (I like Permatex brake lube, but I'm ****) on the pins and in the boots. This helps the sliders and brake pads move smoothly to grip and release on the disc. Caution: More is not better; don't goober it up with lube. You don't want it to get on the pads....not good.
If you still have questions; that's cool, that's how we learn. (Really!) Glad to help.

Edit: Some of this^ may not be exactly KLX specific, but the main principles apply. Look for the pin(s) that go through/hold your pads in place (with rubber booties.) That's what you're looking for.

Edit Edit: There may not be a cotter pin on the end of the slider(s); they MAY thread in to the other end. A few different variations out there.

Edit Edit Edit: Have I confused you yet???? Sorry.

Last edited by jeffzx9; 04-20-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Disk brakes do tend to drag a little. I would'nt be too worried. Remember lube attracts dirt.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I made a quick model of the Brake holder. I think I have it correct but I might have the pin and bolt reversed. You should get the idea. You can get brake caliper grease from the parts store in a little tube for about a $1.00. Be easy on the grease, like 2veedubs said it will attract dirt. On the other hand that is what the rubber "Booties" are for.

Attached Thumbnails Rear disc brake rubbing-brake-holder.jpg  
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

The single-piston floating-caliper disc brake is self-centering and self-adjusting. The caliper is able to slide from side to side so it will move to the center each time the brakes are applied. Also, since there is no spring to pull the pads away from the disc, the pads always stay in light contact with the rotor (the rubber piston seal and any wobble in the rotor may actually pull the pads a small distance away from the rotor).

HowStuffWorks "How Disc Brakes Work"

Yes I know these are for cars but the basics are the same

Quick Reply: Rear disc brake rubbing