Rear Axle Lube

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Default Rear Axle Lube

Folks,

Question about lubing the rear axle. I am in the middle of swapping out my rear sprocket, and while I have the back wheel off, I figured I would lube the rear axle bearings.

It looks like if I try hard enough I can remove the seals on side of the hub that contains the bearing sleeve. They don't seem to want to pop right out like the swingarm and rocker arm bearing seals did. I don't want to manhandle them unless I am supposed to. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Rear Axle Lube

Bump.

C'mon somebody. Give me some love here. I am stuck with a half put together bike.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 PM

Chris,

Sorry, I've been working at work today - novel concept, huh?

Okay, to get the bearings out, you need to drive them out! Pack them as best you can with the axle out and then put some grease on the axle.

I'll bet when you pulled it apart the axle was bone dry - or might have had a "Thank You" serving of grease.

Hate to tell you this, but the swingarm, shock mounts and steering head bearings are all the same way!

Old 11-03-2006, 10:47 PM

Marty,

Thanks for the info. I can validate what you say about dry bearings on the swingarm and rocker arm bearings. I haven't made my way up to the steering head yet.

What do you mean by "drive them out". Do I need to actually take a hammer or something and bang on one end? Sorry for the silly question, but I don't want to do that unless I am danged sure I am doing it right.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i am looking for the answer to this too..... when i put my new tire on i will be doing this... i looked at it briefly when i changed the tire the first time... o this is after i get my bike back ....

Old 11-03-2006, 11:13 PM

Allrighty then, it's time for a quick lesson!

If you take a look at this drawing of your rear hub . . . . .

Name:  rearhub.gif
Views: 1303
Size:  17.0 KB

. . . . you will notice part number 92143A just about in the middle of the screen. This is a sleeve that can be moved around to gain access to the bearing to "knock them out" from the other side. Please note: there is a circlip on one side - please remove the circlip prior to going for a large hammer!

I have a long drive pin that I've worked on a grinder that fits the bearing really nice. You have to drive the bearings out to replace them.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty
Sorry, I've been working at work today - novel concept, huh?
Me too - novel indeed! I'm just now catching up ...

Old 11-04-2006, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

My axle was dry so I lubed it, haven't had a go at the bearings yet

Old 11-04-2006, 04:35 AM

So which thing should I be lubing? I assumed that I needed to get down to the roller bearings inside the hub. Based on Mav's comment, it looks like I can buy some time by just lubing the axle itself. If that is the case, I will probably go that route for now.

Marty, could you take a pic of the tool that you have fabbed up to push out the bearings? I am picturing it as basicaly a pipe that contacts the outside ring of the bearings. Is that right, or is it a solid metal rod?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 11-04-2006, 05:08 AM

I will throw something out there. Aren't The bearings sealed and no grease needed?. I haven't really gone into the back too much The rubber seal could be removed carefully and greased but run the chance of messing up the seal and allowing sand or dirt to enter. If you drive the bearings out , and Marty is correct you will be replacing them. Other than that grease the axle, I use a copper base spray lube made by worth.

Francis

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Lube