Really thinking about Exhausts now.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Really thinking about Exhausts now.

As I noted in another thread, and per the Big Gun chief directly (to me):

"vortex" core was designed for mx bikes that occassionally go on a trail for which they need to observe national forest sound limits. It's a guick slip in and out. It is more open than the "quiet core" insert. It is made differently, doesn't last that long and shouldn't be left permanently. Quiet core is a little more restrictive but will last longer, and is recommended as a permanent dual sport solution like we would use it.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: charleshmosesii

As I noted in another thread, and per the Big Gun chief directly (to me):

"vortex" core was designed for mx bikes that occassionally go on a trail for which they need to observe national forest sound limits. It's a guick slip in and out. It is more open than the "quiet core" insert. It is made differently, doesn't last that long and shouldn't be left permanently. Quiet core is a little more restrictive but will last longer, and is recommended as a permanent dual sport solution like we would use it.

Hey Charles, do any mods to your bike yet and if so what have you done. So bottomline here is the actual Quite core doesnt come with the Exo-x and is Extra money. Also if it was like my last big gun exhaust you can forget about getting the Original packing back in once you install the quite core. I think big gun uses a wrap style packing and the couple times I replaced the packing on my dr250s I had a Bear of a time trying to keep it wrapped around the quite core and getting it installed. I wound up just shreeding the packing material and packing it by stuffing it in around the core pipe. Hmmm maybe if I call big gun and tell them I'm buying a Muzzy they will Give me the quite core.

LV

Old 08-30-2006, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Big Gun Part Numbers:

(#10-4311 Head Pipe) + (#10-4312 Silencer) = (#10-4313 Complete System with Vortex insert + spark arrester & spacers)

The Big Gun site has a Tech Support section that includes a picture tutorial on how to change the packing, if that helps.

Good luck with Tech Support giving you Quiet Core for free ... I'm still trying to get a KLX250 head pipe that fits a KLX250!!!

Mike

Old 08-30-2006, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I don't know if they have them in stock or not, you'll have to check on that. there's is only one part # for the full system EvoX for KLX 250/300. get one and stop wasting your time talking about it.

Ya ya I know, just waiting on my bonus check. From what others say though this quite vortex Isnt the quire core so I will probably be ordering one of those as well. I can tell you from my experience with my previous big gun Race system that the quite core is a pipe that runs the Full length of the muffler so if this vortex is something that just slips in and out it's Not the Quite Core...

LV

Old 08-30-2006, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the 15 inch Quiet Core insert (not included with the Complete System package). It replaces the Race Core insert. The only difference between these two inserts is the Quiet Core has a series of internal baffles that stick into the exhaust flow and deflect the pulses into the packing, which lowers the sound level. It also increases the back pressure to a certain degree.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2553/D783CE586F974089A41EBA9B1464CE6E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the Vortex Insert. It installs WITH the race core insert to quiet things down, but can be easily removed when more power is needed, or visa versa. (See charleshmosesii's reply about MX riders doing an occasional trail ride). Its easier to install / remove because it fits within the race core and does not touch the packing.

I don't know if its possible to use the Vortax Insert AND the Quiet Core for even lesser sound. I suspect that even if it was possible, the increase in back pressure would be too prohibitive.

Hope this helps.

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/2553/C816A8FA2FC54FE49CA623E37F03F57B.jpg[/IMG]