Really thinking about Exhausts now.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Really thinking about Exhausts now.

Ok, got some extra cash coming sept 15th and its time to narrow the field in exhaust selections.
This isnt a brand / brand comparison but more generalaztions and to put my thoughts on paper.

If I go Full system I really have just two choices right. Big Gun or Muzzy. I know of Satin I think but that might be hard to get.
Are there any other full systems on the market besides those at this time. As to Which full system these are my feelings.

I like the End Cap of the Muzzy better then the Big Gun evo x. It's more Tradional to me. That being said the spring / passenger foot rest issues everybody has had pretty much kills that sale because to my knowledege they havent corrected the issues yet have they. Also seems I have seen some threads where it mentions the pipe discolors after awhile. Is this true.

As to the big gun I will have to admit I'm partial because I had one on my dr250s. There loud but my one experience was it was a quality exhaust. So that being said I will have to say if I go full exhaust it will be the big gun. I'd like to hear where you guys got yours and More Importanly who had them In Stock. Also does the evo x come already with the quite core or is that extra.

The one issue I had with my big gun which brings me to the slipon side and was no fault of the exhaust is the fact that these full systems have no pipe guard on them. the second day I had my big gun system installed my pants leg burned to that nice shiny pipe. What a freaking disaster. Huge stain right in the middle of the pipe that I never did get off. My biggest concern with a full system is this will happen Again.

Now I actually Like the headpipe and guard of the stock exhaust so I'm also thinking about slipons too. The only make I know now for the klx250s is HMF. But I guess if you put the headpipe from a klx300 on then your slipon choices open right up. the klx300 headpipe will bolt right up right. Is the guard different or will my stock one work. If I keep the bike long enough I will be going the 300cc route.

From a cost prespective I think the klx300 head pipe and slipon would be cheaper but probably not much. From a performance perspective the full system probably beats the other setup. So I'm back where I started.

If I go full system Id like to do something about the headpipe. Anybody Successfully mounted their stock guard to the head pipe yet. Will it fit. Are there after market ones out there and if so how much. Another thought I had was sometimes harley owners will Wrap there pipes with Exhaust Wrap, Usually it comes in black. This might be a idea too but not sure how it will Look. So there you have it, My Delema. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and I would especially like to hear from owners who went the klx300 headpipe / slipon route and your thought on muffler se4lection and would you go that way again.

Thanks

LV

Old 08-29-2006, 03:57 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Really thinking about Exhausts now.

WOW!! you had almost as many answers as questions Just messing with ya. If I had it to do all over again I would look into the Big Gun or see if Pro Circuit had something to offer. I did have to mess with the foot peg issue, and I too touched the pipe with my pants and now the pipe is stained. I am going to see if my local machine and welding shop can fit the stock guard/heat shield on the muzzy. I took it off the stock pipe and held it up to the Muzzy and it looks great, and will hide most of the stain. If I ever get this done, I'll post pictures.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

The stock shield will fit the 300 headpipe, thats what is on mine now. However from the factory one of the stock shield bolts was cross threaded or something, I completely rounded out the head with an allen key trying to get it out. Then cut a slot in it to try a slotted screwdriver, that didn't work so I cut the edges flat to grab with vise grips. I only got it halfway out before i completely cut the head off. Even with a large portion of the shank exposed I can't even budge it with vise grips. So just be warned about trying to remove the stock shield.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:13 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Good point, I took mine off this weekend and almost didn't get one of the screws off. It must have been galled when it was installed.[&:]

Old 08-29-2006, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Obviously you've been doing quite a bit of thinking about exhausts! You must be exhausted by now!

Here's my take on a couple of thoughts:

Don't put a slip-on on the stock header. The stock header is one of the main bottlenecks because its smaller than the KL300 header and all the aftermarket headers. Doing so would probably negate most of the benefits of the slip-on.

I agree the stock heat shield is nice, but seems like Kawasaki is the only one who has it. The mounting tabs for it are welded onto the stock header, so you'll have to find a way to mount it on a new header (unless deej figures it out first!).

Moose racing has some custom and universal exhaust shields, but I think these are more for protection against rocks, etc., rather than a heat shield.

Between Muzzy and Big Gun, I went the Big Gun route, but haven't installed mine yet. (Long story, and still in the process of getting longer. I was on the verge of returning it 3 times already, but there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. Now, only if Big Gun Customer Support would just do the right thing ... ). The EVO X Complete System comes with a "Vortex" insert that is supposed to reduce the sound level. As I understand from a post in the advrider forum, the Vortex is slightly better at reducing the noise level, but is not a good long term solution. The recommended approach was to get the Quiet Core insert. (If I ever finally get my Big Gun dilema sorted out, that will the approach I take.) For some reason, I thought that the complete system included the Quiet Core, but found out afterwards that it is extra. Oh well, I can get that easily enough through my local dealer.

As far as going the 300cc Big Bore route later on, I think both the Muzzy and Big Gun will work now and later. (Same holds true of course for the KLX300 header and a slip-on.)

There you have it ... no answers, just more food for thought.

Good luck in whatever route you take!

Mike

Old 08-29-2006, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I just installed the Big Gun on mine sat it fits great and sounds great. I really like the Ceramic coated header pipe it should not turn colors. I paid a lot to coat the 4cyl proMod pipe on my dragbike but it held up to all kinds of torture...... You can get the muzzy coated but why spend the $$$ if the BG comes that way IMO

Old 08-29-2006, 05:24 AM

So is there an insert for the Big Gun that makes it more quiet than the one that came installed on the pipe? I bought a Big Gun and absolutley love it and do like the sound but may be just a little to loud for driving to work at 5 or 6 in the morning. Don't really want to make too many people mad. I looked on the Big Gun website and there is a 15 or 17 in quiet insert. Does anybody know which one it is and the rating if it is really more quiet. Thanks

Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: krntl13

So is there an insert for the Big Gun that makes it more quiet than the one that came installed on the pipe? I bought a Big Gun and absolutley love it and do like the sound but may be just a little to loud for driving to work at 5 or 6 in the morning. Don't really want to make too many people mad. I looked on the Big Gun website and there is a 15 or 17 in quiet insert. Does anybody know which one it is and the rating if it is really more quiet. Thanks
The 15" Quiet Core is the one to get for the Big Gun system. From what I read, the Quiet Core is comparable soundwise to the Vortex insert, but causes less back pressure. Also, just thinking about it now, the Vortex insert is a good solution when you'll be installing it and removing it regularly. I don't think the Quiet Core is as "interchangable" (i.e.: its more effort to install, but is the better longer term solution for a lower sound level ... and corespondingly less power. Don't know how much less power, though.)

Another thought that just occured to me: Could the Vortex tip be used to decrease the sound level together with the Quiet Core?!?? Could be an interesting experiment! (BTW - I'm looking for an overall power increase, but not at the expense of an obnoxious sound level. Neighbors and all ... )

Mike

Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

I have a BigGun EvoX full system and am very pleased with it. I have had it on for about 3 mos. now and the thing rocks. Don't worry about burning stuff onto the header as it is ceramic coated and will take care of itself. I can prove it- my 4-year old rested her 'crocs shoes on the header on a small ride and when we got back I noticed. Luckily those shoes are pretty thick and it didn't burn all the way to her little foot but it had made a huge mess on the pipe right where everyone can see. Well, the next weekend I took the bike on a 200 mile ride and the pipe had burnt all the melted rubber off and it looked new again.
The pipe fits like a glove and comes standard with the quiet core so you don't have to buy that extra (biggunexhaust.com). You will be pleased with the BigGun. Sure there are other systems out there but I guarantee they will not perform up to the BigGun's level when you put it all together with fitment, performance, build quality, and function. The BigGun uses a clamp to connect the midpipe to the muffler which provides a sure tight joint where other manufacturers use springs (a pain imo), Muzzy's have even forgotten to provide the necessary spring hooks leaving the buyer with a pipe they cannot use until Muzzy replaces the faulty part. Look, it's your money and you can buy what you want. I don't want this to start into another muzzy vs biggun. I am just stating my experiences and what I have read from others here on this forum. I bought my pipe from motorcycleparts.biz for $390, had it in 3 days. Good luck.
If I go with the Full exhaust which I probably will it will be with the Big Gun system. When I had my system on the suzuki I was never able to get the stain off though but its not the exhuasts fault. Let me ask you this. A - So yours came with the quite core, seems others say it doesnt or it comes with this Vortex core whatever the F*ck that is. B- in pictures Ive seen it Looks almost like the header pipe of the big gun system sits closer to the Head/cylinder assembly then the stock headpipe. Have you noticed this too. If so that would help with the burning stuff to the header pipe issue. C - finally what part number did you order. was it BG-10K4313 and I take it you would recommend motorcycleparts.biz. I wont be installing it for awhile yet But want to get it and not be told oh, its on back order and where not sure when we will get them in. Thanks...

LV

Quick Reply: Really thinking about Exhausts now.