The real scoop on the 09... dealer specs and modifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: The real scoop on the 09... dealer specs and modifications

I just read full reviews of the KLX250 and D-TrackerX in a couple of Japanese mags.Both reviews were very positive. They invited a pro dirt racer to evaluate the KLX. I will try to briefly repeat the main points.

He said thatthe new suspension keeps the powerto the ground much better than the old one. He alsosaid it was much more stable in a straight line, through corners and felt more sorted on the loose surfaces. No issues with the shorter travel and bottoming-out. The only time he could get it to bottom-out was on very large jumps, so I don't see the shorter travel being of any concern. If you want to do rad jumps all day just get some firmer springs. This dude is normally a butt head, so I expected the review to be a-lot more negative.

He did say the the fuel injection wasn't quite as abrupt or sharp as he'd expected, but went on to say it had better response than the CVK and was very controllable. He purposely lugged the engine in higher gears on hills because heremembered that the carbureted model would easily start knocking then stall-out. No such problems with the fuel injection. He could lug it to point where it knocked, but it was very hard to kill the engine that way.

For the gear head in most of us, here is the EFI system installed on the Japanese version. I read a magazine review on it. As part of the review, they put last year's carburetedand this year's fuel injected models on their dyno. The fuel injected model produced 2 more HP than the carbureted one. The fuel injected model produced nearly 25HP instock form.

Here's most of the sensors and the ECU. Top, left is water temp sensor; top right is the O2 sensor; lower left is the spill sensor (as in you fall down, it shuts down); lower right is the intake air temp sensor; the box at the bottom of diagram is the ECU.

Here is the throttle body. The injector is at top, right. Lookslike the wires are for a position sensor. Fuel enrichment for starting appears to be the knobon the right side.

Here's the fuel pump. This system is way different than the horror stories I've been hearing. There may be hope for an aftermarket mapping program after-all.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and here's another tidbit. The headlight on the new KLX has two 25W high/low beam bulbs housed in a muti-reflector assy.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

no, same carb. CVK34
I think I would know, I've got the bike in my garage and I've had the old bike as well. yes, different idle adjustment ****, but same carb. any more clarification needed ZX?

Old 04-05-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

no, same carb. CVK34
I think I would know, I've got the bike in my garage and I've had the old bike as well. yes, different idle adjustment ****, but same carb. any more clarification needed ZX?
Just curious, Any loose bolts from the factory? A few of us had several loose bolts on the '07. Mine had a loose shift lever bolt and loose lower chain guard bolts(which were gone by the time I noticed.) Hope you are lovin' the '09 so far!

Old 04-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

why aint you out riding man?[>:]

no, same carb. CVK34

Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

hang on a sec... does my 07 klx 250 come stock with a "semi flat side" carb? or is that just the 09? and yea i noticed the idler was diffrent, but the carb its self looks alittle diffrent, i dont know, i dont own a new one, nor am i a mechanic.

but i do know that the tool bag is DEFINETLY bigger for sure, 100 percent no lie.... (like its a huge deal? ) but i would be pyched to put my phone in there or my wallet and still be able to cary tools. My bag on my 07 ripped at the seams so i bought a new one from the shop, i'll get a pic when its all hard mounted in the old spot.

hey 09owner... do you still own your old klx? are you doing side by side comparisons? (just wondering)

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

just got back from 50 miler. wow, this bike has got more low-end than I remember or gave it credit for. it is running really well for stock. I'm almost tempted to keep the 14-tooth sprocket on until I get an exhaust. I will probably change it just to see how it affects.

no loose bolts yet, I've gone over the bike with a fine tooth comb. Just went to my local kawi dealer here in DM, no '09's yet. I feel special. had lots of lookers at my red one. while I was there, they had a new RMZ450. that bike is sweet with its fuel injection and aluminum gas tank.

as far as the tool bag being larger, I just don't remember the '06 being smaller. but hey, it's no biggie. my glasses and tools fit in it just fine so that's all that matters. the carb may have new or updated features or adjustments but it is the same old keihin cvk34. until I delve into it here in the next few weeks, I won't know if the innards were changed. I do know it has a 115 main according to the fiche at kawasaki.com. also, the engine is very buzzy, reminds me a lot of my DRZ at high revs but there isa 6th gear to take care of all that. ran like a top today and the brakes are much better than my '06's, especially the rear. I friggin love it.

ps. I did finally remove the seat strap, the new seat is sexy.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

just got back from 50 miler. wow, this bike has got more low-end than I remember or gave it credit for.
As long as it's not runnin on nitrous...lol Did you take it off the slab at least....you have been here for two years now and have never posted a ride report w/pics. Get on the ball!

Old 04-06-2008, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pie4foou

hang on a sec... does my 07 klx 250 come stock with a "semi flat side" carb? or is that just the 09? and yea i noticed the idler was diffrent, but the carb its self looks alittle diffrent, i dont know, i dont own a new one, nor am i a mechanic.
They are just talking about the shape of the slide, which is misleading because most flat slide carburetors have their slide moved directly by the throttle cable wheras the CVK does it via vacuum on a diapham which, so it is slower to respond. They couldhaveused the samesales tactics with the 06/07 because they have the sameslide.

The carb on 09 is basically the same. Kawi eliminated the Throttle Position Sensor, so you won't see that bolted on the side anymore and the idle adjustment is directly mounted to the carb now wheras the 06/07 **** was at the end of a cable.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I can't get that darn sprocket nut to pop loose. My wife just isn't heavy enough. I will have to have my neighbor sit on the bike. Maybe tomorrow.[]

Quick Reply: The real scoop on the 09... dealer specs and modifications