Range & cold weather starts for KLX250SF?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Ned
Default Range & cold weather starts for KLX250SF?

Good day:

Trying to decide on a new motorcycle.

I'm 67. I like to say I ride solo, I ride slow, and I ride mostly close to home so feel a 250 would suit my needs.

Would like to keep it stock.

I've been seriously considering the Suzuki TU250 but recently received the latest issue of "Cycle World" and there - in an ad for Progressive Insurance of all places - saw a picture of a young lady astride what I finally determined to be a KLX250SF and now that has joined my list of "possibles."

The TU seems to offer 2 advantages: it has EFI and a 3.2 gallon tank as opposed to the 2.0 on the SF.

Would welcome comments on the range of the SF from current owners. I read one review where the writer obtained over 100 MPG(!) but I suspect that is atypical. As mentioned, I don't foresee long rides but would like a range of 150 miles or so; can the SF approach that? Again, as mentioned, would prefer to keep the machine stock.

Also, does the SF require a long warm up period when temps get into the 35-40 degree range? I fear needing a 15 minute warm up for a 10 minute ride.

Would welcome any comments.

Thank you.

Ned

Old 05-07-2010, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

although I dont own the 250sf I cant imagine that bike gets better gas mileage than my 250s which consistently gets 60 -65 mpg in city driving. so no you wont get 150 miles from a tank and will likely hit the reserve at about 90 to 100 miles and after that it would be time to find a gas station.

Warm up depending on the last time you rode can be 5 to 10 minutes unless you rejet properly.

It looks like for your situation the zuki would fit you better. the 250sf is an aggressive 250 made for ripping up a short track. the tu250 looks like an around town type putter.

good luck

Old 05-07-2010, 07:06 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

my '09 250S gets around 80 mpg stock (if i am just road riding). i would think that the 250SF would do i little better because of the road tire vs dual sport knobby (although it seems that the gearing might be different according to some threads on here).

As far as the warmup goes, i rode mine pretty much through winter this year, and warmup can be done while "gently" riding the bike. I usually start it up, let it run for about a minute, then start riding away. I will leave it choked, and by the time i get half way up my road, i can push in the choke, and the bike runs fine.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:12 PM
adr
1st Gear Member

I went 142 miles on the last tank. It took 1.8 to refill the tank.

I've ridden on 32 Degree days. Hands are still numb :-) same warm-up as jxg, run for a minute on choke, then ride through the neighborhood 1.5 miles, then choke off.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

all right I'm calling shenanigans. Either there is something wrong with my bike or you guys drive like old ladies with the throttle limited to a quarter turn. Seriously I dont mean to insult anybody but my bike is completely stock and I only ride on the road with avon distanzia's set to 38 (f) and 32 (r) psig and my best mpg is 65.

and I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that you should never ride the bike with the choke on.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 78 and ride an '09 KLX250S. I've hit reserve at 90 to 100 miles. Mine is stock and requires a few minutes warm up. I sometimes have to slip the clutch to get the rpm up when I first start off until it warms up. Usually it's okay by the time I've ridden a couple of blocks.

Try to get a test ride on the bikes you're interested in. Our local dealer allows a test ride on anything they have in stock but some dealers won't. The TU is a nice looking bike but you want to be sure you don't feel cramped on it. The SF is easier to get on and off than the S because it's a little lower. I have to stand on a peg to get on and off my S but can throw a leg over on the SF. I test rode a WR250R, XT250, and the KLX250S back to back. I wanted a true dual sport as I ride a lot of dirt as well as slab. I didn't like the WR because it was too tall and the throttle was real jerky. The XT was too cramped. The KLX was just right and I don't mind that it's a little wimpy on power.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Norm

Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigGreenBastard
all right I'm calling shenanigans. Either there is something wrong with my bike or you guys drive like old ladies with the throttle limited to a quarter turn. Seriously I dont mean to insult anybody but my bike is completely stock and I only ride on the road with avon distanzia's set to 38 (f) and 32 (r) psig and my best mpg is 65.

and I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that you should never ride the bike with the choke on.
sorry, just telling you like it is. I haven't checked the mileage lately, but just went to the gas station yesterday when my reserve went on at about 98 miles showing on the trip meter (i guess my mileage would be slightly lower since the gauge is off, but mine isn't that bad, as I've compared it with GPS).

And I ride my bike pretty hard, always have all my bikes (and cars and trucks).

Also, like i said, i gently ride with the choke, pretty much not even giving it gas, to about the first stop sign in my neighborhood. by then, the bike is warm enough to ride with out the choke. still take it easy for the next 1/2 mile or so to the top of a hill. then I am on the main road...

and by the way, one of the young whippersnappers i ride with 90% of the time claims his '07 gets in the 80s, but he's constantly riding on just the back tire, so I guess his mileage is better due to less road resistance on the tires...

Last edited by jxg; 05-08-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Great forum. I just traded my wr 250 for a klx250s, ya, the performance is weaker, but way more usable over all. but i need a bigger tank!!! Can anyone help with that? As for cold temps, i am riding the backwoods of vancouver island, lots of higher terrain, other than starting when hot, warm ups are minimal.
Very happy with the suspension and the bike over all, just need more range.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 PM

Hi Niteflier:

You might be the first I have read about that got rid of a WR for a KLX. Can you provide a few details regarding your decision? I have ridden the SF for a decent distance and found it to be particularly forgiving but have only ridden the WR around a parking lot with hopefully a longer review ride coming up later this month…

Thanks in advance

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG

Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 AM

I've only had my bike since 11-2009 but it's got over 1000 miles on it with over half of it during the winter. I find that there is little difference between starting my bike during the winter or warmer weather. I choke it, finish putting on my gear, then push the choke back in and ride off. My worst gas mileage has been 65 mpg and my best is 74 mpg with most of it hovering 68-70 mpg and that's riding it on fast, twisty roads. I love this bike!

BTW, I was going to get the WR250X until I found out that the KLX250SF is a tad smaller which is important when you're my size (5' 1", 125 lbs).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Range & cold weather starts for KLX250SF?