Raising the suspension on an '09

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
Anyone have a bike they want to shorten? We can swap links.
I'll do a swap with you.

If you're looking for info on the links,

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=31135

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Hello!
Indeed the length of the springs of 2009 is 416mm.
There is no known way to improving the market today. Neither Tech nor MOTO PRO Race: nothing!.:confu sed:
The past springs are too long and do not serve.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeffward
Hello!
There is no known way to improving the market today. Neither Tech nor MOTO PRO Race: nothing!.:confu sed:
Even if you take the spacers out?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

If the 09 springs were 2'' shorter (don't know that for sure), you could use 300 springs, heat and compress the coils at each end.

You can also cut springs, the trick is refinishing the ends. You cut the coil longer than what you want the final length to be. Then hold it lightly against the flat side of a grinding wheel. Your goal is to not push too hard, letting the grinder friction heat the end as you carefully push the cut coil to a flat finished ground surface. If you have some old springs practice, it works great and looks factory. I cut 4" off my concours springs to make them stiffer, but it uses conventional fork. With a USD fork you wouldn't want that much spacer length.

For 2", I'd heat and compress each end. Would also take a care free and rider sag measurment before hand, you might want the spring a litlle longer or shorter than stock. How much you (change) preload in the installed spring usually pretty much equals the end sag numbers.

On rear springs watch that the new spring doesn't rub on the airbox boot. The oem spring has smaller coils toward the top for clearance here.

Originally Posted by jeffward
Hello!

Last edited by RimBender; 06-03-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Even if you take the spacers out?

Yes!

You can also cut springs, the trick is refinishing the ends. You cut the coil longer than what you want the final length to be. Then hold it lightly against the flat side of a grinding wheel.

I had not thought about cutting. It does not seem very professional, but it is an idea that can reduce the problem of frontal collapse.

I also thought of adding tabs, but the stock spring is already preloaded and the very oil capacity limit, you can add or 10cc without risk of breaking seals.

Perhaps the owners should expect 2009/2010 models to Moto Pro, Race Tech or develop specific docks ... it seems the most sensible, and I understand they know the problem. She has many homeowners in the world who seek an alternative to the stock fork springs and is a market that puts pressure and can not lose sales.
Thanks to all!

Last edited by jeffward; 06-03-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

heres what i know.
older springs will not work in 09s
09s spacer is not removeable,(from what i know, i might be wrong, but either way i would do it while rebuilding the forks cus its at the bottom)
older klx forks work (from what i know, havent done it)
older kx forks (93ish) work, 94(ish) can work, but it means your replacing the triple clamps and your changing bearings too. from what ive read, some people like it and some done, as the stiffer triples/forks send more stress to the frame and make it flex more. cus of this, i would probably go for the 93's, but i want to look into the fork diffrence more for my own bike.
117's raise the bike and give a firmer ride. i wouldnt advise this by it self, as it will increase the rake of the bike then and make the bike more twitchy than it is stock. im waiting till i go for kx forks to do this.

imho, i have moto pro front fork springs, and for what they are there great, but i need more.

personally, i only see a lot of good raising this bike a bit, more like a true dirt bike, better ground clearence, and my fave, an inch or more suspention travel. would be real nice when im pounding sand whoops for hours, help save energy and keep from feelin it bottom out all the time. im so suprised i havent blown the rear shock yet.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Let's bring this old thread back up. Has anyone successfully removed the spaces in the forks and used longer springs?

I'm tempted to just get the Motopro springs and let the stiffer springs raise my ride height.

Old 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

If you try it, and pull the spacers out, you probably don't need new springs. Make a spacer for the top of the spring, and use it to set preload.

Using just a stiffer spring to raise the bike isn't really the right answer.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

I might be able to look up the springs I had put on my 09, but, I can tell you the rear spring is an animal unto itself. It's custom-made, with a narrower bottom end for clearance issues. Pro-Action now has the specs, as at least one of their techs did my front and rear revalve/respring. It's a different (much better) bike now.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi everyone!
Indeed there is a harder rear spring specifically for our bike, Moto-Pro sells it, 5'6kg / mm, ref MPSP622856
Is this correct or is confused's homepage Moto Pro?

However, for the fork springs seems that after a year on the market, there is still no specific thing. That disappointment.
Finally, we will have to buy springs of 2007 and cut them to fit the fork 2009-2010-2011?
http://www.moto-pro.com/mybike.asp