Radiator Guards - do I need them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Radiator Guards - do I need them?

Hi guys.

On the rocky ride I recently had, one of the guys in camp recommended I get myself some rad guards. Seemed like a reasonable suggestion, so I enquired with my dealer. He's managed to source some for about A$160, but I have been thinking... how necessary are they really?

Has anyone damaged their radiators on their KLX and wished they had put a set of rad guards on? They make sense from a preventative standpoint, but when I look at the bike long and hard, I am not sure the radiators are that badly exposed and prone to damage. But there is no substitute for experience, so I thought I would ask you all.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Saved my rads a couple of times...can u get your hands on a set on UNABIKER rad guards? Thats what most on here are using

Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

My radiators are bent enough that I couldn't put guards on now if I wanted to. They haven't leaked a drop yet.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

The only way you'll know for certain if you'll "need" radiator guards (or braces, or whatever protective name you want to use) is after you've sprung a leak due to a situation that you didn't plan on happening.

Me? I bought the Unabiker ones. Very nice for the price, and seem to be very well designed.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Unabikers add a lot of strength to the radiators. They really make them sturdy. Just as important they protect the front of the radiator from being impaled by sticks or smashed by flying rocks etc. I think they were around $100 U.S. much much cheaper than replacing even one of the rads.
Dan

Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Get them. They've saved my rads more than once. As stated above, get some before you bend them too badly out of shape.

I had Unabikers on my KLX and they were the business. I have bullet proof designs on my KTM now and they are amazing, sadly they don't make them for a KLX.

Again, buy some. Now.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like a worthy investment for $100. I assume if the unabiker rad guards are installed then you get to take off those flimsy plastic guards that come stock with the bike?? I hit a big brush the other weekend when driving in the state woods and it poked the rad pretty good, no holes but that is my convincing reason to buy these guards.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The Unabiker guards seem like a good option, but since everyone else has mentioned them, I thought I'd mention another option. I have Scorpion Racing guards on mine. They can be found here: http://scorpionracing.ca/index.php?o...=136&Itemid=26

Here's a pic of them on my bike:

Old 08-12-2010, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jckid
The Unabiker guards seem like a good option, but since everyone else has mentioned them, I thought I'd mention another option. I have Scorpion Racing guards on mine. They can be found here: http://scorpionracing.ca/index.php?o...=136&Itemid=26

Here's a pic of them on my bike:
Those are nice. I've seen them on a couple KTM's as well. I desperately wanted their skid plate but couldnt get my hands on one in time.

Oh, and they are proudly Canadian!

Quick Reply: Radiator Guards - do I need them?