RaceTech vs. Moto Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RaceTech vs. Moto Pro?

I'm just about to order valves for my KLX's forks.. but it appears I have three choices: MotoPro or two from RaceTech. Pricing is similar, so it's really a non-issue. I'm wondering which is going to be the superior one to get? I already have new fork springs, and by themselves they were awesome, but I want to finish the forks up with the valving, and then do the rear shock.

Thanks!

Rob

Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I did the Race Tech Gold Valve kits in my fork and shock, but I don't think the quality or performance is any different in their end result. What I liked about the Race Tech was the videos that came with the kits, because I did the work myself. Paul Thede with Race Tech has some excellent step-by-step videos that come with their kits as well as excellent text. From seeing the Moto Pro components and knowing John's efforts in putting together his kit, I have no doubt that either product does the job, because they use basically the same design of a superior compression piston with appropriate shims to fit the rider and bike application. If you don't do the work yourself, I don't think there's a nickel's worth of difference between the two. Someone with some decent prior suspension component experience will be able to install either kit with the desired results. I think the Race Tech kit has more info for the home mechanic who is willing to undertake the install himself. I also like the extra shims and optional shim pack suggestions that Race Tech sends with their kit to tweak the recommended shim stack. That said, I think several of the Moto Pro kits have been installed by decent home mechanics on this site who had no extensive prior suspension component expertise. The Moto Pro instructions are adequate. I just like what comes with the RT stuff if you're doing it yourself. Now...maybe some of this has changed with Moto Pro, and maybe they also provide install videos since I last looked at their product package.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the great writeup!!

What all is involved in the installation? I'd love to be able to do it myself, but it depends greatly on what's involved and what tools I might need that I don't otherwise have.

I've already ordered gold valves for my DR650, but was going to pay somebody to install it because it requires drilling holes in the damper rod, and I don't think I can do that properly without a drill press.

Rob

Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the Race Tech Gold Valve and had a shop install for me.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The "what all is involved in the installation" is why you either get the RT videos or someone else to do the job. Even as verbose as I am in some of my posts about working on our bikes, I don't want to go into the detail involved for a complete revalve. You can hit the high points here, but there are lots of little nuances that a guy like Thede from RT covers with understandable descriptions and some great descriptions of suspension principle in general. Don't get me wrong...I don't think it's rocket science, but there are quite a few steps in the whole process. Rob, I doubt the drilling of the damper rods is that complicated. As far as the drill press issue goes, maybe it's time to buy a home mechanic level press from Harbor Freight. I've got some Chinese made POS that has been flawless for many years doing jobs of all kinds with more than adequate service and quality. Frankly I think it's hard to do many home mechanic jobs without a drill press...cheap or not.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Since I live in an RV, some tools are just too big to keep around. I'd love one of those cheap presses. A small drill press is a possibility, but one of those fullsize hydraulic presses (that use a bottle jack) are just too big and heavy to deal with, even though the trailer is a toyhauler with a 14' garage.

I guess what I meant about "what all is involved" really meant, "is there anything super complicated or requiring special tools?" Such as the drill press bit for my DR650's damper rods. I know sometimes special tools are needed to get the forks apart. For the DR, there are various ways around that, but I'm not sure on the KLX.

Rob

Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
Since I live in an RV, some tools are just too big to keep around. I'd love one of those cheap presses. A small drill press is a possibility, but one of those fullsize hydraulic presses (that use a bottle jack) are just too big and heavy to deal with, even though the trailer is a toyhauler with a 14' garage.

I guess what I meant about "what all is involved" really meant, "is there anything super complicated or requiring special tools?" Such as the drill press bit for my DR650's damper rods. I know sometimes special tools are needed to get the forks apart. For the DR, there are various ways around that, but I'm not sure on the KLX.

Rob
I gotcha. You're right about go-arounds on the special tools issue for servicing most folks. Once you get to the damper rods, pistons, shims, etc., I used a Dremel tool and simple file to complete the disassembly of the shim stacks. At that point, it's normal hand tools for reassembly. Nothing really complicated. From seeing some of your posts over on ADV, I'd think you have enough skill and knowledge to complete a revalve on the KLX. Also, I think doing so really gives one better insight into what's going on in there and how one fine tunes it.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I went with Moto Pro. Just heard good things.

edit: for springs, I haven't done valving.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Rob - I went with Racetech and it's a lot better than stock. However, I've read from people who have had both that Moto-Pros "Ultra-Max" valves flow even more oil than the racetech "goldvalves".

Sorry, no actual experience, but that's what I've seen.

The KLX forks are extremely easy to work with. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate making them the first forks you tear into. Once they're apart you'll see how the oil, valves, shims and clickers work so future changes to these things will make perfect sense to you.

Good luck either way and please report back.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I went with Moto Pro and I could not be happyer everthing wrks fine. I do off road and ADV rides with a lot a weight. I would do it again.

Quick Reply: RaceTech vs. Moto Pro?