RACE REPORT!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Default RE: RACE REPORT!

If you want to race the bike, that is fine with me. Go for it and have fun. But my point is, when you modifiy the bike to the point that it is no longer street legal, you should probably ask yourself if you bought the right bike.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: giacoman

If you want to race the bike, that is fine with me. Go for it and have fun. But my point is, when you modifiy the bike to the point that it is no longer street legal, you should probably ask yourself if you bought the right bike.
Most of the bikes I see in FL wouldn't pass inspection, Crotch Rockets, Harley's......

Old 05-01-2006, 06:24 PM

And my point is that this bike is fine just to go try racing out for minimum money. And if I decide to keep racing, then yes, I would buy an MX bike.

But, I am not about to spend another 7000 bucks just to "try it out". Especially if I found out that I shouldn't be doing it. Because then I am stuck with a bike that I have to sell. And I just don't have that kind of money laying around to spend on a "maybe"

Old 05-01-2006, 08:11 PM

EVERYBODY MISSED THE POINT!

This was an experiment for the bike and me.

First part of the experement was seeing if the bike had enough power to compete?

Could it pull down the straits?

Could it pull off the gate?

Could it handle the variuos sections?

In my opinion it can do all of the above if rode hard and a certain way. I didn't say before on the first moto I went into the first corner fourth I came out 6th so did it have enough power to pull off the gate yes but remind you I was in 1st at the gate most other riders started in 2nd or even third. It may have been that the KLX gets less wheel spin with less torque. On the second moto start the nice guy beside me decided to try to pench me in and ran his front tire up my right leg so that was the source of the bad start there. And no this is not a good MX bike nor is it even a great enduro bike the KLX 300R never was eather. The competition on that track was pretty good the lap time record on that particular track is 1min 47sec my class was doing consistant 2min 18sec times so it wasn't that the compitition was bad, the comp was way better here in North Carolina than it was in Colorado but then again that was 11 years ago. point is if rode it right and hard you can compete, you just have to figure out a way to get every ounce of horses you can and hang on for dear life because the soft suspension.

Second part of the experiment;

Could I some how pull it off?

Did I have enough endurance to hang on to the suspension?

Could I use my riding knowledge to my advantage?

Could I stay up?

Some of the above happened some didn't. I tryed hard but in the end failed but with crashes in each moto I still managed to stay ahead 5 other guys. I would have done better if I was doing the 85ft double but the track was in such bad condition my ***** shrivled.

So in the the end what is the argument is the KLX a MX bike? No. Is it pretty capable? yes. Would I have placed on a MX bike? I dunno. And is my bike still street legal in all the states I could end up being stationed? Yes, I already checked it out, I only took off the tail light assemb. for the race. Am I going to race again? Hell yes it's fun, and the other guys get really pissed when your little dual sport passes them. Also next race I'm going to Iron man it there and race old school style with just my bike, a back pack and a couple tools. For me it's not all about wining, trophys, or even placing, its about the nestalgia and competition that only few sports like motocross provide. Yes I could go out and buy a MX bike tomarrow hell my wife even supports that idea. But I love the under dog and the feeling of pushing a bike as hard as I can to stay with the pack. My first ever race was in 1988 and I was on a 1979 yamaha 80 and I got 5th. Then upgraded fast to a better bike. But those where the funnest races I ever did.

Anyways I got way off track I will soon replace the soft springs and race again. Oh and one more thing people do care when you beat them on a dual sport every single rider in my class came up and asked me about my bike after the motos. And looked at me crazy when they found out what it was. Everyone is overthinking chill out! I only post these so every one will know that your bike isn't going to fall apart if you jump it or drop it. I have had more fragile CR's.

One more thing all my street legal stuff is easily detatchable so it only takes me 5 min to put evrything back on and it all can be carried in a small pack.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 PM

Seth,

I got your point at the beginning of all this. This was an experiment, like you said for you and the bike. I would probably do the same exact thing.

My point has always been that I am not going to buy an MX bike just to experiment.

Thats it.

Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Seth +1

Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sullydirt

Seth +1
I kept waiting for Seth to blow his horn at the guy in front of him, but alas, I guess he didn't want to embarass the poor guy on the 450 for holding him up. So ... has anyone ever seen an MXer blow his horn at the guy in front of him? The guy in front would probably be so surprised at what the heck was going on, "who th F is blowing their horn at me out here in this race?" that you'd probably startle him enough to lose concentration and then you could make your move and take the trophie!

BTW, I tried to get more pictures of Seth, but he was flyin' around there so dang fast it was all a blur and I was lucky to get the few shots I did.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Blow the horn. I didn't even think of that!! That would be some funny sh-t... LOL..[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-02-2006, 02:01 AM

Alright the guy finally e-mailed me some pictures so here they are.

This is the KX 450F giving chase.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1071/F4E34C3E47AD4B6AAB7551FDC262E086.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2006, 02:03 AM

He's getting closer

[IMG]local://upfiles/1071/B3756ADCED3D486D8BC814979B205750.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: RACE REPORT!