Quietest pipe for 2009 KLX 250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

The Q4 has crappy packing in it. If you get the repacking kit from FMF it sounds really nice. @4,000 rpms it makes 90db on a 250 with a stock header. I know this because I got a sound check at the Wabeno ride last September.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I drive too much like an idiot to make noise and draw attention to my self. I much prefer the quiet. I will even give up some performance for the quiet. I think I found a nice middle road.

Going to try a 1" pipe instead of 3/4. Right now I have rigid copper pipe for an extension. It looks pretty good and sounds nearly as quiet as stock.

You folks say these are reasonable except when really getting on it. I do that all the time. I have the 351 kit and going for the Mikuni 36-68

David

Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

You can also really change the sound of any pipe with some creative packing for more or less sound and as it burns and blows out it will get louder. My Powercore 4 is allready louder than when I installed it, it has slightly less than 1000 miles on it.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Lets see if I got this right. Less muffler, more power? So a straight pipe or even no pipe would give more power? What is the purpose of that little bulb in some aftermarket header pipes? Is it maybe cosmetic to make us think their engineers really care about us klx owners?

Also as a noob, how do I private message a particular response. I've clicked all the buttons but still don't get it.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by kyrral
Lets see if I got this right. Less muffler, more power? So a straight pipe or even no pipe would give more power? What is the purpose of that little bulb in some aftermarket header pipes? Is it maybe cosmetic to make us think their engineers really care about us klx owners?

Also as a noob, how do I private message a particular response. I've clicked all the buttons but still don't get it.
I disagree but some people seem to think noise = horse power. Just look at all those Big LOUD V twins. The exhaust has to get out. Pipes can be tuned to match the engine.

The aftermarket pipes (slip on mufflers) are mostly hollow with the packing on the outside to absorb the noise. It does work to a point. Sound waves and exhaust gasses are different but come out of the same place at the same time. A good muffler will take out the noise and let the gasses leave easily with little resistance (back pressure) My BMW 1100 twin is quiet. No after market muffler will get me more than 5 more horse power with all the noise you can stand. Its a well designed muffler made for that bike.

For private message click on the name there will be a menu.

David

Old 12-17-2010, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
I want a quiet aftermarket too. They don't make one. There is a clip on here some where that shows the FMF Q4 as the quietest, but its still too loud for me.

I changed the stock pipe. I removed the 15 mm outlet and installed a 22 mm outlet (3/4" pipe) I can tell the difference in power but its still quiet. I even went to the police station and asked a cop.

"Is this too loud?" "No not at all".

Just a little bit louder than stock. Not near as loud as no air cleaner cover.

If you want, I can do yours.

I plan to dyno test it this winter. I bought a stock pipe to compare it to.

David
wow, and i thought the stock exhaust was ugly..

Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or, in this case, the listeners.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
The Q4 has crappy packing in it. If you get the repacking kit from FMF it sounds really nice. @4,000 rpms it makes 90db on a 250 with a stock header. I know this because I got a sound check at the Wabeno ride last September.
I'm very happy with the sound of my Q4,. The original packing lasted 2 yrs, and was probably still ok. I swapped it out with some inexpensive packing from Rocky Mt ATV LEXX brand. I put a thread up about it if you want to search. It blew about 91db at 3500 rpms at the Bucky ride in Madison.
David I like the ingenuity. I always appreciate someone who tries to come up with their own solution. Everybody has their own idea of what they need from their muffler. Keep up the good work.
Feral Donkey, how did you like Wabeno? People at the Bucky, and at the ride in Theilman MN kept telling me Wabeno was not to be missed. Did you do both days? Was there any difficulty to it? I just may do it next year.
Thanks
Dan

Old 12-20-2010, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Dude.

I live in Diamond Bar - right next door to ya
I have the KLX300 pipe.
Wanna hear it?
Ride it?

PM me your # and we'll arrange a time if your interested.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I'm very happy with the sound of my Q4,. The original packing lasted 2 yrs, and was probably still ok. I swapped it out with some inexpensive packing from Rocky Mt ATV LEXX brand. I put a thread up about it if you want to search. It blew about 91db at 3500 rpms at the Bucky ride in Madison.
David I like the ingenuity. I always appreciate someone who tries to come up with their own solution. Everybody has their own idea of what they need from their muffler. Keep up the good work.
Feral Donkey, how did you like Wabeno? People at the Bucky, and at the ride in Theilman MN kept telling me Wabeno was not to be missed. Did you do both days? Was there any difficulty to it? I just may do it next year.
Thanks
Dan
Wabeno was great! It's as easy or challenging as you want it to be. The regular route is plenty interesting but can be done with a 950 Adventure. Some of the hero sections will kick your ***. But you don't have to do them if you don't want to. I was with a group of guys and we went in on one and I didn't know it. Pretty soon the trail got rougher and nastier. Down trees across the trail everywhere with slippery rocks and all kinds of nasty stuff. Then I came upon a fork in the road with a sign that said "This trail is way too easy." and an arrow pointing to the left. I thought it was going to an easier trail. Nope. It went to a beaver swamp full of 3 food deep ruts and boulders the size of the hood of my car. 4 letter words and lots of them. I got through it. I felt like I ran the Boston marathon after that 200 yard section. As long as you don't read the signs wrong, it's a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Quietest pipe for 2009 KLX 250?