Quietest pipe for 2009 KLX 250?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Quietest pipe for 2009 KLX 250?

At one point in time somebody somewhere says their aftermarkets are loud: Muzzy, HMF, Q4s. I want to accelerate in the city without cops revolving their ears. Any ideas on what would be the quietest aftermarket pipe.With dyno jet mods does a pipe really add that much power?

2nd ques. If I do get a slip on for the stock exhaust and later decide to change the head pipe will I have to change the slip on also.

Anybody know why the stock headpipe is more restrictive than a 300KLX. Less interior circumference maybe?

Anybody have a piped bike close to Pomona near LA I could listen to. Maybe their loud isnt my loud. I consider most Harleys too loud.

Or maybe I could just remove my hearing aids.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink I gave up

I want a quiet aftermarket too. They don't make one. There is a clip on here some where that shows the FMF Q4 as the quietest, but its still too loud for me.

I changed the stock pipe. I removed the 15 mm outlet and installed a 22 mm outlet (3/4" pipe) I can tell the difference in power but its still quiet. I even went to the police station and asked a cop.

"Is this too loud?" "No not at all".

Just a little bit louder than stock. Not near as loud as no air cleaner cover.

If you want, I can do yours.

I plan to dyno test it this winter. I bought a stock pipe to compare it to.

David

Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

i have the FMF powercore 4...
the pipe obviously really opens the bike up...
but i personally think that it isnt that loud, i mean, heads will turn, but it isnt one of those screaming harley choppers. plus, that makes people look at yer bike and be like, "wow, that guy is cool." haha.
but it really isnt that loud around cruising speed, only when you tear @$$ out of an intersection is when it gets a "little" loud, but nothing obnoxious.
and it gives the bike a nice sounding "base" like sound.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

The stock head pipe on the 250 is small and is a restriction. I have an FMF Powerbomb and it works with the powercore 4 or the quietcore as that is what it was designed for, not sure how it would work with stock though. My bike is a little noisy but not like the Harley I just sold. I would think with the Q4 it might not be too bad, I do reccommend the Powerbomb or the Mega bomb as it was a great addition to my slip-on pipe.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, I got a mega bomb and a Q4. Sounds just about perfect to me. It isn't loud ( unless you are at like 8000 rpm ) but it gives just enough sound to be cool.

I have gone on many 4-5 hour rides and never had my ears ringing or got sick of the exhaust note. I think it is just about the quietest besides something stock.

Also, a header with an expansion chamber, knocks about 3-4 decibels off as well.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hmmm the quietest pipe is the stock one, I got the Muzzy, and well let's just say it somewhere near the other end of the spectrum.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

David R, I did something similar. I used a piece of 1" stainless and welded it from the inside. I see your spark arrester in there. Did you leave the spark catch baffle in place? Did you just drill out the OEM pipe? I cut the entire muffler apart for "inspection" and welded, "sewed", it back up. I got very little noise increase and more flow.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Thread.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=32162

[URL=http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/danrkfd/?action=view&current=DualsportrideLeafRiver4-11-2010106.flv]

Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member

nice comparison! Q4 sounds weak to me.. definatley like the tone of the hmf and 2bros

Old 12-17-2010, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm liking the sound of my HMF, but it sure can't be called quiet.

Quick Reply: Quietest pipe for 2009 KLX 250?