Quick electrical question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dacoontz
Here's another quick question. Once putting the cam chain on and tightening the cams down, are you supposed to install the two cam chain tensioner's and then turn it the couple rotations to test if it is properly lined up? Or do you test it without the tension on the chain? I would guess with the tension since that is how it is going to be running when all back together. I have ot say that the manual does not mention anything, maybe that is because it is obvious to everyone but me.
Do you have the manual tensioner or the "semi automatic" OEM tensioner? If you have the OEM, i would put it back on and let it self adjust then tighten as necessary once the engine is back together and working. There are alot of good threads on here about how to properly tension the came chain.

As far as requiring tension when spinning it by hand, unless your chain is so worn that it has a potential to skip a tooth which would be really worn, i would say it doesn't matter whether the tensioner is installed or not, but personally I would do the bump test with the tensioner installed.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

P.S. I love how the title of this thread is very misleading. It went from a "quick electrical question" to a troubleshooting thread in no time

Good luck

Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

PSUdude,

My threads tend to do that.

And I did just find this in the manual to confirm what you had already posted.

"Do not turn over the crankshaft while the tensioner is removed. This could upset the cam chain timing, and damage the valves." So I guess it's better to be safe than sorry and just install when testing the timing.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUdude85
P.S. I love how the title of this thread is very misleading. It went from a "quick electrical question" to a troubleshooting thread in no time

Good luck
Hold the phone! There's still that temp sender problem to deal with. Don't Ya'll get to excited when this thing's running and forget about that.

Hope this bike runs like a raped ape when it's done. He's paid his dues! I'll bet he goes to bed with pictures of timing chains in his head!

Been there, done that and it SUCKS!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default check out my valves on my latest thread

Hey there,
Just an update, pulled the head and posted some pics of my valves. So my other thread. Thanks. Ideas?