Questions for those that have had there suspension fully done

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Questions for those that have had there suspension fully done

I am trying to decide if I want to put more money into the bike or look for a new one. For those that have there suspension fully done I have a couple questions.
1. Who did you use?
2. Did you only have the forks done or did you have something done to the shock as well?
3. What did the service run you?
4. How much difference did it really make for the bike?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Moto Pro suspension seems to be what a lot of people are going with for these bikes. They say it made a really big difference on how the bike feels all around. I plan on ordering my springs as soon as I can afford them. :P

Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I have springs already, but I feel like I am pushing the stock suspension. I am looking to go full bore.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

didnt do anything to the shocks, but just changing the springs (front and rear) from stock to moto-pro (based on my weight) makes a huge difference.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I did front and rear springs from RaceTech, and it made a huge difference in handling. I am still dialing in the settings, but I can tell a major improvement. Total cost for both springs was less than $200, and I installed them myself in about 30 mins. Only thing I still need to do is a little heavier oil in the forks, and I wish they had rebound adjustment like the rear shock.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I am already sprung for my weight. I am talking about a full fork service with gold valves and the other goodies.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
I have springs already, but I feel like I am pushing the stock suspension. I am looking to go full bore.
Like you, I have springs front and back. I have not had any suspension work done other than that on the KLX. For what I bought this bike for, I don't need more than that.

I spent almost $1600 on a complete rebuild, respring, revalve, and dynotesting(front forks) for my 10 year old 1998 Yamaha YZ250. Was it worth it for a 10 year old moto-x bike I have set up for woods riding? Oh HELLS Yeah!

I think the question you should ask yourself is; Will I be able to find a bike to go full bore on that comes with suspension that doesn't need anything done to it?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I did springs and the valving made a big difference. I did it myself happy with the results.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I have full suspension tuning done by Jerry at FSW. It does make a considerable difference, especially off road. I'm not sure I would go beyond correct springs if I rode mostly pavement or dirt roads. Those that do that sort of riding and have had full work done will have more incite on that. However, a good tuner will be able to set it up for the type of riding you do. There is a big difference between off road and pavement settings. If you are having doubts about keeping the bike I would not do the suspension beyond the springs until you determine if you really want to keep the bike.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mandark
I think the question you should ask yourself is; Will I be able to find a bike to go full bore on that comes with suspension that doesn't need anything done to it?
I understand that any bike you buy the suspension will have to be setup to your weight and riding style. But there are many bikes out there that to start out with are many steps in the total package above the klx. My bike is no where near a stock klx and full suspension is about as far as i could go with it.

AgoosSS, I ride the klx hard(maybe to hard sometimes) in a mostly offroad/enduro setting. It is not a pavement/dirt road queen. My problem is that I want to keep the klx and get a hardcore enduro bike. I don't know if the funds will be available to do that, and I don't know if I want to give up the klx for that bike yet. The compromise for this year would be to get the suspension fully done and get a stabilizer on the bike. I am just trying to figure out if the money for suspension is worth it or not on the klx, or if I should just put the money towards a different bike. Did you also have the shock valving done?

Quick Reply: Questions for those that have had there suspension fully done