Questions after first ever KLX250S oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, it is a good idea to check the oil level every ride or every few days if the bike is ridden a lot. Singles can blow off oil. My 650 will blow off oil, has ever since I got it with 1710 miles on it - a common thing on big singles as some friends have found with the XRs. I don't have the experience to say with the little single, but hey it takes maybe 30 seconds to check.

I will say too, with current oil blends and definitely if a motorcycle blend is used, the oil will hold up very well. My 650 has 45,000 on the bottom end and 30,000 on the top end (rebuild courtesy of cam chains ruined by two failed tensioners - believed it when they said "all Kaw engines are noisy"...yeah.) changing at 3000-5000 miles. I know others change more frequently and that's fine. I just go with the oil companies (who would benefit more if the intervals are closer) and the bike manufacturers (who pay for warranty work) when they say 5000 miles is a reasonable interval. The speedy oil change shops will promote the short intervals since it benefits them.

I am not saying anyone who goes short interval is wrong, their choice.

I am saying if others like me are considering running longer intervals the vehicle and oil manufacturers say it is not a problem. I have my own experience proving it to me - the 98 626 was still going with 5000-6000+ mile intervals when the clutch and numerous other non-engine related issues finally ended its run for us and then my daughter with 275,000 miles and the 650 doing 45,000 and still strong. They make far better oil and vehicles now than back in the 50s-60s.

Last comment - if you see price as a problem when considering motorcycle blend oil versus automotive blend oil there is a reasonable price motorcycle oil. The Japanese Automobile Standards Organization (JASO) rates oil, among other things, and is respected world wide. Seems Shell Rotella diesel oil has that JASO MA rating and sells for about the same money as car oils. Look at the container, it's there JASO MA. So you can be assured of an oil that is right for your motorcycle how one says... "on the cheap".

Last edited by klx678; 07-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I only change my motorcycle oil more often than 3k miles when I run it in the upper rpms for a large amount of time very often (mostly canyon riding). More heat, lower oil life, especially with conventional

Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I remember years back watching an infomercial on a synthetic oil, Synthoil or something like that. The guys ran the oil in their race car, then drain it and use it in their transport, then drain it after however long, then run it in their lawn mowers.

The show also had a classic and exotic car restorer tell about a customer with one of those high buck classic priceless sports cars that developed a water leak. Having more money than sense the owner drove the car home and contacted the mechanic. The wild part was the mechanic found plug wires starting to melt and damage like that, but the oil apparently held well enough there was no engine damage upon tear down (expecting serious damage).

Just some crazy stuff I saw on the tube. Kind of like that one where they had a Mopar 318 and would dump dirt water and junk in the heads to demonstrate how it held up.

Later...