Questions after first ever KLX250S oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Turbo_Diesel
Great advise for a new owner. i am at 450 miles about to make my first oil change. Any thoughts on synthetic. I've read a lot online. But real experience would be good. It seems dino oil is always better for break in, but was curious of thoughts
Since ALMOST all of today's oils with a label of "Synthetic", are actually severely hydrocracked petroleum, it doesn't matter. Furthermore, even some TRUE synthetics are provided as factory fill in some engines (Porsche, Corvette, at least this was true the last time I heard...if it's changed, please, someone that knows these cars correct this information). It's just not the problem (that seems to have at least some anecdotal truth to it) from back in the 70's and 80's.

Use what you want. Simply keep tabs on it's viscosity (even "synthetics" shear), OR, change it about every 1000 miles on these thumpers. This advice also goes for good old Rotella...that's the thing...doesn't matter if you use a proven Group III oil, or a "Synthetic", they last about the same amount of time in this application.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Turbo_Diesel
Great advise for a new owner. i am at 450 miles about to make my first oil change. Any thoughts on synthetic. I've read a lot online. But real experience would be good. It seems dino oil is always better for break in, but was curious of thoughts
Just an FYI to any future new owners, it is generally thought that changing the oil after a hard break in at 40 miles and then at 100 or so, then 500 and finally every 1000 miles till full synthetic oil is added, has been pretty successful. The important thing is to get the oil out sooner rather than later will get rid of the metal from the breakin.

I've been running Amsoil full synthetic 10,000 mile oil in my Dodge Diesel truck and in the KLX, and recently in my Honda ST 1300 as well. Its $12.00 a quart. In the KLX I am now changing oil every 3500 miles.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I've been running Amsoil full synthetic 10,000 mile oil in my Dodge Diesel truck and in the KLX, and recently in my Honda ST 1300 as well. Its $12.00 a quart. In the KLX I am now changing oil every 3500 miles.
Holy $144 oil changes batman!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

My little powerstroke diesel only uses about 16 quarts and the chevron delo15-40 costs less than 10$ per gallon FYI.

Mobile 1 synthetic is cheap and available, even at walmart. It always has worked great in my off road bikes. Last I heard it was still a real, pure, honest, synthetic.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Default 2012 klx250s oil change

bought a used klx250s 2012 with 930 miles . noticed in the sight glass oil was getting low . i did everything by the book, but the oil sight glass is empty . is this normal? waited a while, drove it around a little bit . im unsure what to do now . i tightened up the drain plug bolt , added some more oil , still little to nothing in the sight glass. im guessing my only option now is to completely drain out the oil and start over again rather than assume there is a quart and a half of oil in the crankcase and ruin the engine.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fifthward1983
bought a used klx250s 2012 with 930 miles . noticed in the sight glass oil was getting low . i did everything by the book, but the oil sight glass is empty . is this normal? waited a while, drove it around a little bit . im unsure what to do now . i tightened up the drain plug bolt , added some more oil , still little to nothing in the sight glass. im guessing my only option now is to completely drain out the oil and start over again rather than assume there is a quart and a half of oil in the crankcase and ruin the engine.
Don't panic. There's bound to be enough oil or it would have let you know at this point. Let's look at how you're checking the oil in the first place. How are you orienting the bike?...what's the bike sitting on?...is the bike flat and level?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fifthward1983
Are you reading the oil level while the bike is upright?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you know this thread is 3 years old ?

Well any time I buy a used bike the first thing I do is change the oil and filter ! Who knows whats in there and when the last time someone changed it, if they did at all.

Make sure the bike is straight up and down on a level surface and then check the sight glass.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yzf125
Did you know this thread is 3 years old ?

Well any time I buy a used bike the first thing I do is change the oil and filter ! Who knows whats in there and when the last time someone changed it, if they did at all.

Make sure the bike is straight up and down on a level surface and then check the sight glass.
Hey, give the guy credit for keeping his question oil change/oil level related even on an old post.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes sir he did !

Quick Reply: Questions after first ever KLX250S oil change.