Questions after first ever KLX250S oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Questions after first ever KLX250S oil change.

Despite fears of screwing up colossally, my first oil and oil filter change went smoothly on my 2011 KLX250S. At the time of the change, the mileage on the bike was 420 kilometres, within the margin recommended by many seasoned riders on the forum. However, even after referencing the owner's manual, I still have a few questions.

Firstly, I let the bike run for about five minutes before draining the oil, which appeared translucent and relatively fresh.

After removing the bolt and the metal gasket, I was concerned that the temperature of the oil would scald my hand, but it didn't. In fact, it wasn't hot at all.

Question: What is a sufficient length of time to let the bike run before draining the oil?

Question: Do you replace the gasket every time you change the oil?

About 10 minutes later, as the oil flow slowed to a drip, I sat on the bike, leveled it out, swayed it gently from side to side and moved it back and forth. Perhaps more oil would have drained if it were hotter.

Next, I removed the oil filter. There were a few miniscule metal particles and, what looked to be, frayed fabric around the filter. After removing the filter from the oil filter reservoir, I found a spring laying in a small pool of oil, which I absorbed with a clean towel.

Question: After removing the oil filter, do you wipe out the reservoir? How?

The spring was the most puzzling part and I had trouble understanding where it was supposed to be placed. After a quick search online, I took a set of pliers and spread one end of the spring so that it fit snug between the middle of the four metal butts at the back of the oil filter reservoir. Next time, though, I'll try using a dab of grease because, even after adjusting the spring with pliers, it was still a little crooked.

Question: When do you recommend changing the oil again next? I was thinking at around 1,000 kilometres or so?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations on your success!
Originally Posted by brittlebrain

Question: What is a sufficient length of time to let the bike run before draining the oil?

I'll ride mine for 5 minutes or more, and may have to let it cool a little to keep from scalding if after a longer ride. Just try a little longer next time. You should be okay.

Question: Do you replace the gasket every time you change the oil?

Nope.

Question: After removing the oil filter, do you wipe out the reservoir? How?

When I change the filter (every other oil change), I wipe out the filter area with a rag. No biggie.

Good thing you found out where the spring went and didn't toss it in the extra parts pile!

Question: When do you recommend changing the oil again next? I was thinking at around 1,000 kilometres or so?

Read your manual. Depends on how/where you ride it. Longer intervals for lots of easy street miles with little dust. Shorter intervals for harder riding and dusty conditions. I change mine about every 500 to 1000 miles, depending on how I've been riding.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

5 minutes was fine but don't just sit it there idling. The oil is engine and transmission oil so to be properly stirred and heated the gears must spin. Go for a ride. Besides, leaving a bike to idle is not a good idea.

Never replace that gasket unless it leaks.

Wipe it out with a paper towel. Just to get the most oil out possible and look for debris. No real reason to get evry last bit of oil out as there will always be leftover oil in the engine.

Oil is cheap and I like to change it more often than necessary. Follow your manual on this one.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't over think it.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

go for a ride and change the oil again in a few mins

Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 AM
1st Gear Member

It takes 20 minutes to one half hour for oil temperature to stabilize. Just change the oil at the end of a ride. You can wait a few minutes for the exhaust to cool down and the oil will still be hot.

I am changing my oil every 1,000 miles. It just rolled over to 7K and keeps running better. Engine is quiet.

David

Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
It takes 20 minutes to one half hour for oil temperature to stabilize. Just change the oil at the end of a ride. You can wait a few minutes for the exhaust to cool down and the oil will still be hot.

I am changing my oil every 1,000 miles. It just rolled over to 7K and keeps running better. Engine is quiet.

David
Yep. Good advice!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on oil every thousand. I change the filter every even thousand.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Classic Kawi spring fail....what were they thinking?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Great advise for a new owner. i am at 450 miles about to make my first oil change. Any thoughts on synthetic. I've read a lot online. But real experience would be good. It seems dino oil is always better for break in, but was curious of thoughts

Quick Reply: Questions after first ever KLX250S oil change.