Questions about a KLR 650

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:45 PM
rlj
1st Gear Member
Default Questions about a KLR 650

I'm looking for another dual sport to go along with my '09 KLX and was wanting to hear from anyone who has spent some time on a KLR 650. I know its a bigger bike and may not be as nimble as a KLX however you can get a great deal on some used ones......which raises the question why are there so many used KLR's out there........

It would primarily be used up in the NC mountains on paved, gravel and dirt roads and not so much on tight trails.

Any input on the bikes comfort, ride-ability, durability and other would be greatly appreciated.

My other option is to buy a used KLX, which I'm not opposed to however I thought it would be nice to have something a little different.

RJ

Last edited by rlj; 06-07-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I have done just the opposite of what you are considering... I bought a KLR 650 5 years ago, have used it for everything. After beating the bike and myself up on the more difficult off road single track, I bought a KLX 250S 2 weeks ago. The KLR is absolutely one of the best bikes for what you are considering. There is a reason people outfit them for trips to Alaska, South America, and around the world. They are tough, can pack a lot of gear, are comfortable on long hauls when properly outfitted, and parts are easily available. They are surprisingly capable off road when under the control of a skilled rider.

Find yourself a used one, make sure the doohickey is replaced, and ride the hell out of it. There is a lot of information available about the KLR... do a search and you can spend hours reading about it.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Eric (EMS) will weigh in I'm sure, he traded the Honda CB for one a month ago. I rode one once, but only 5 miles on the highway. I was impressed with the torque though.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
rlj
1st Gear Member

Hey mtnmac, appreciate the info. Would you have a problem buying one with +/-10,000 mikes on it? How's the seat height compared to the KLX, I'm showing that they are about the same however in some cases there may be an inch difference. I'm a little under 5'10 however I have no issues with the KLX's height.

Call me ignorant but what's the doohickey?

Last edited by rlj; 06-07-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a KLR for 3 years, beat the snot out of it riding in the NJ sand, then switched over to the KLX to get something easier to ride. No comparison off-road, the KLX is so much nicer, lighter, better brakes, better suspension, 2000% easier to ride in the sand. The KLR is higher. Obviously better on the road. I was not a big fan of it on the highway, some people think it is ok for that though. I took a lot of longer trips on it, never had a problems (except when I crashed it lol). If I was gonna do 2 bikes I would do the KLX and a V-Strom, something good off-road and something I can do some serious miles/highway on.

Edit: 10,000 miles would not worry me.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I own both, they aren't really comparable. Different tools for different jobs. 10k isn't nothing on a KLR I have over 30k on my old '92 and it runs stronger than the new ones.

The doohicky is the balancer chain adjuster (and spring), a known weak spot but an easy enough fix. The KLR comunity is large and local work partys usually aren't too far away. They can fix it for you if you don't have the tools or know how.

Why so many KLR's? because they built them since like 86 and they have devoloped a cult following. One of kawi's best selling bikes for years. Kind of a 2 wheel jeep, or swiss army knife of bikes. Kinda funky and some people just don't "get" them. In my garage the old KLR doesn't get bike status, it's like a workhorse appliance like the washing machine. Never gets cleaned or polished, rarely maintained, but it always works when I need it.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've owned 4 KLR600/650's since '85 until a couple of months a go when I sold my last one to a friend. I was near to deciding to keep it to accompany my KLX, but sold it in a weak moment. That's the way I sold the other 3 too. I do so much more enjoy my KLX in the dirt, but I had tons of fun on my KLR's over the years. If I didn't ride some decently gnarly terrain, I'd stay on the KLR...and even at that, I rode some horrible stuff on those bikes. Your description of what you want to ride with the KLR, and the fact that you'll ride the rougher terrain on the KLX, I'd say the KLR will be the perfect compliment to your KLX. I always thought the KLR was darned fun on the pavement too.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with all of the above. The KLR is far from being the best at anything, but will go more places comfortably than almost any other bike. 10,0000 miles is nothing. Beware of the '08s, they changed the ring design on the piston and some were oil burners. There is sure to be many local people who own them and will be happy to help you out if you need to replace the doohickey... it's not hard, I have done many of them for other people.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Pass on the latest iteration of the KLR. Also take a look at the DR650 - a little bit lighter and more off-road capable.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep a guy here in town at the parts store that I have been talking to for the last 4 years since I got mine just bought a DR 650, and its totally a different bike, for one the headlight turns like its supposed to, I still can'[t get used to the KLR 650 doing that. Oh speaking of the KLR, I was waiting for my kid to get out of school yesterday and this loaded down KLR comes by me and I wave to him as I'm sitting in my truck, and he waves. 5 minutes later he pulls right up along side me and asks me if I know so and so, and of course I do...hahaha I direct him to the next block. I asked him where he was from and he just got to Forks after 4500 miles starting in Maine!!!!! He also had saddlebags on the tank instead of the rear of the bike. I should have taken a picture...oh well.

Quick Reply: Questions about a KLR 650