Question on replacing my rear turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Question on replacing my rear turn signals

Since the Q4 has started to melt my right turn signal I'd like to replace them with something shorter. The stock one sticks out 4 1/2" and I'd like to find something around 2" which should keep it a little more away from the exhaust outlet.

I haven't taken the turn signal off to look at the wiring, is it connected via 2 or 3 wires? Am I correct to assume if I buy any pair of turn signals that match up with the wiring I should be ok? Also, I've heard LED lights will flash rapidly without a relay, is that true?

Old 05-11-2012, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

yes the LEDs will flash faster without a relay, my rears are shorter LEDS with stock front signals and they flash about twice as fast

Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

i got the short turn signals from competition werkes.....universal,and look sweet. $20 per pair

Old 05-11-2012, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member

The LED's will work with a resistor. Measure the resistance of the OEM blinker and the LED. Add resistor to match OEM.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
i got the short turn signals from competition werkes.....universal,and look sweet. $20 per pair
Are they LED? If so, did you use a relay or resister?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey BNSac,

Just for testing sake could you run your stock signals for a bit longer? I wonder if removing your smog gear will in effect contribute to cooler exhaust. I desmogged the same time I added the Q4 and over a thousand miles later stock blinker is still good. If your blinker no longer melts we may be on to something. Have a good weekend.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Hey BNSac,

Just for testing sake could you run your stock signals for a bit longer? I wonder if removing your smog gear will in effect contribute to cooler exhaust. I desmogged the same time I added the Q4 and over a thousand miles later stock blinker is still good. If your blinker no longer melts we may be on to something. Have a good weekend.
Hey 2veedubs,

It's funny you say that. Yesterday I took the bike out for a long 6-hour ride in the foothills. About 2-hours of highway and 4-hours of hills. It was about 90 degrees out and much of my riding was in 1st gear. So not a lot of air cooling off the engine. I could feel the heat through my jeans so I know it was hot. I also stopped a few times where heat from the exhaust would have been right on the signal without airflow to cool it off. I did notice the plastic lens getting slightly darker, but not nearly as bad as I would have thought after all that hot riding.

When I first noticed the blinker melting it was after a 2-hour ride at highway speeds with no rests. I don't know if there was more melting from the exhaust during the ride or afterwards sitting and cooling off.

I wish I had one of those laser thermometers where I could have taken a reading before and after the smog removal. But so far I'm thinking it's running just cool enough to not melt the blinker or it has a minimal effect on it. I would also think how one's bike is setup with the Jetting could be a factor.

I doubt I'll get to replacing them for a week or so. So I'll have more time to see what effects if any.

Can you answer my initial question on the wires?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

the stock turn indicators only have 2 wires

Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Hey 2veedubs,

It's funny you say that. Yesterday I took the bike out for a long 6-hour ride in the foothills. About 2-hours of highway and 4-hours of hills. It was about 90 degrees out and much of my riding was in 1st gear. So not a lot of air cooling off the engine. I could feel the heat through my jeans so I know it was hot. I also stopped a few times where heat from the exhaust would have been right on the signal without airflow to cool it off. I did notice the plastic lens getting slightly darker, but not nearly as bad as I would have thought after all that hot riding.

When I first noticed the blinker melting it was after a 2-hour ride at highway speeds with no rests. I don't know if there was more melting from the exhaust during the ride or afterwards sitting and cooling off.

I wish I had one of those laser thermometers where I could have taken a reading before and after the smog removal. But so far I'm thinking it's running just cool enough to not melt the blinker or it has a minimal effect on it. I would also think how one's bike is setup with the Jetting could be a factor.

I doubt I'll get to replacing them for a week or so. So I'll have more time to see what effects if any.

Can you answer my initial question on the wires?

Thanks!
From your description - it sounds like the hot exhaust gasses are the culprit! Remember, the gasses *HAVE* to be hotter than the pipe. Exhaust gasses heat the pipe, so the pipe temp could never exceed the temp of the exhaust flowing into it). At highway speeds, you're running high RPM, which is sending an endless supply of very hot gasses out the pipe. That gas is passing within an inch of the turn signal. The faster it flows out of the pipe, the more hot gas that hits the signal... Farting around off-road wouldn't have the same effect - no matter how hot it was outside.

I don't think it could possibly be the temp of the pipe itself. I can touch the end of my pipe after riding it on the road for miles. The surface of it dissipates heat really well.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Are they LED? If so, did you use a relay or resister?
not led..standard bulbs...plenty bright

Quick Reply: Question on replacing my rear turn signals