Question: hill climbing technique

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Question: hill climbing technique

looks to be some big ruts at the top of that hill there nobrakes. i take it they weregiving you guys some trouble good job on making it up to the top! thanks for posting video

Old 07-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

+ 1 on standing up on steep climbs, and especially a rough climb. Standing for me always works.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Brian. It appears that you do fine too, Pal. I have just seen so many poor guys plant their posteriors on the saddle and stay put until they get pitched or pried off. If you have ever watched a steeplechase jocky ride over jumps you will notice how they sort of disappear as far as the horse is concerned. They let their legs do the damping between the horses movements and themselves so the horse only has to displace his own weight...not the riders. It works more or less the same way for the bikes...only their brains are smaller...

Practice makes perfect, as long as we don't practice our mistakes.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 07-04-2008, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Even if you make it to the top things can still end badly........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEwi...eature=related

Closed course, professional rider, don't try this at home, some restrictions apply, void where prohibited, not valid in some states.....

Old 07-05-2008, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I know its been mentioned but dropping the countershaft sprocket to a 13 T made all the difference for me. The biggest climbing issue with the KLX apart from weight is getting up and over the bars on the uphills, some of the enduros we do here have climbs you couldnt easily walk and Im freaking that Im going to loop, then the kids blast past on 125 two smokers on the pipe. Stand up, and lean way forward, kiss the front guard, it feels all wrong to start with, but if you can, go and ride with someone that can actually do it in the dirt. As Bill said, practice, maybe on a slope thats only just too much and keep doing it till you can, it doesnt have to be high, I think if you just attempt small ones from a standing start so your revs are down you will get a feel for it. The AC 10 is a good all rounder tyre, Im running about 10-12 psi with rimlocks so Im getting reasonable traction in everything but clay slush. The reason a lot of folks run AC 10s is that they are a durable tyre (hard) with a stiff sidewall, that doesnt necessarily translate to traction,. If traction is still an issue on your climbs then consider a Pirelli Scorpion mid/soft * disclaimer * you wont get good road mileage with it.
The turn around method is best for heading back down. If you go down backwards it can get really ugly, fast, also if you are paddling as well, your centre of effort then goes way rear coz you are sitting down. Flipping rearward while sliding backwards downhill is a difficult situation to bail from, chances are the bike will eat you trying that.
Practice and body english, its tried and true!
Good riding
Lee

Old 07-05-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

WOW!! that was one of the worst get off's i've ever seen.the landing was horrid[]

Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that wascertainly not graceful.