Question on Gas Tank hoses after SMOG removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Question on Gas Tank hoses after SMOG removal

For something I thought would be a no brainer I keep running into problems.

I was able to remove everything as instructed and capped everything correctly except the gas tank. I'm getting conflicting information and would like to get it resolved correctly.

I have a CA model KLX. There are 4 ports (for lack of a better term) underneath the tank. One to the petcock, one connects to a drain hose down the bike and then Red and Blue marked ports which originally went to the small canister.

I understand one gets capped and the other can be left open (small tube) for venting purposes. Can someone verify which one is which. I've even seen you can run the same tube between the red and blue ports. Rob G was kind enough to help me but I don't think it's right. My bike keeps stalling at idol.

Right now I have Blue capped and Red vented.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the non-CA model and my tank has 4 ports as well... 2 for the petcock (on and reserve) and the other two are simple vent tubing that leads down towards the swing arm and is vented to atmosphere...

I don't think either of them need to be capped...

When I did smog delete I just had to plug ports on the air box, the carb and the reed valve at the jug... I don't have the canister obviously but if your lines from the gas tank went to it... then I would just vent them back to atmosphere and not plug either one

I may be wrong, though I believe I had blue and yellow dots on my tank... makes sense though as my lines are not contained by the canister to be purged back to the system upon start-up.

Last edited by LikesToThump; 05-08-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: carb* instead of cab...
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

On mine there is a yellow dot too and that one is leading to the petcock. There is a grey tube (unmarked on the tank) leading to the bottom of the bike.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

So two to the petcock, one to atmosphere and one to the canister... correct?

Last edited by LikesToThump; 05-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Blue to canister
Red to canister
Yellow to petcock
Grey tube out the bike

Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure your vented lines are not pinched or melted. Does it IDLE with the gas cap open? If so you have a venting problem. Best of luck.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

does the Kali model not have reserve ? How does it only have one line to the petcock ?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

There are 2 lines to the petcock on the Cali model. I did NOT cap any of the lines. I only vented the 2 lines I pulled from the canister(s) to the ground. No caps at the tank.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The diagram in the service manual shows a separator in the system that has a white hose going to the carb. Maybe this is giving you trouble as plugging may effect the a/f ratio causing stalling.
My Aust spec bike has two hoses from the top of the tank (possibily from the filler) that vent to atmosphere near the rear shock.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
I only vented the 2 lines I pulled from the canister(s) to the ground. No caps at the tank.
Do you think there is a risk of fire or other adverse effects if I don't put hoses on the two ports that went to the canister? Basically just leave them open.

Quick Reply: Question on Gas Tank hoses after SMOG removal