Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Default RE: Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons

I am pleased with mine also, I think they should at least include the spacer and longer bolt for a better fit. You shouldn't have to make adjustments or trips to the hardware store to make a "made to order" pipe fit your bike.

I enjoy working on bikes when I have time so it was no problem for me. I have friends that ride that have trouble putting in a spark plug! They would be in trouble if they ordered a HMF and tried to install it.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 PM
1st Gear Member

FM_Thumper
Glad to hear your satisfied with the pipe. I had no issues with mine either and I've had it for more than a year now. It is disturbing that many have had issues with the HMF products when I posted how good it was.There is manufacturing tolerances but from what I've seen here thats way out of line and I really do'nt feel the bike is the issue either.
Ride safe.
DJFields

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DJFields

FM_Thumper
Glad to hear your satisfied with the pipe. I had no issues with mine either and I've had it for more than a year now. It is disturbing that many have had issues with the HMF products when I posted how good it was.There is manufacturing tolerances but from what I've seen here thats way out of line and I really do'nt feel the bike is the issue either.
Ride safe.
DJFields
I believe all the problems are from the difference in where the mounting bracket is welded onto the muffler. I think that is why there is a difference in how much spacer we had to install. I do believe looking at the pipe, every single one is going to need a spacer. I was lucky that mine was accurate as it's going to get and needed only a 1/4" bolt and a washer. I think one guy was very unlucky and it was welded well off the mark andno spacer was goint to make it right. Also the peg issues and the leak issues areprobably also from having to put too much spacer. Either way, someone started a thread on HMF engineering about this and the admin there stated that they now have a KLX in house and will look into it.

Since I only had to put a 1/4" bolt spacer, that to me is 100% acceptable. I would do it all over again if given the choice.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

You shouldn't have to make adjustments or trips to the hardware store to make a "made to order" pipe fit your bike.
Evildoer, no trips to the hardware store for me.

About 10-15 yearsago, I bought a pre-packaged container of commonly used Japanese motorcyclebolts, nuts, & washers from JC Whitney. It was one of the best purchases I ever made. I have lost manyhardware while working on my bikes inmy garage where the hardware rolls awaysomewhere never to be found again.Each time,I was always able to pull one out of that container.Alsoanytime the old hardware stripped, I replaced it witha new one.

So when I neededa spacer, washer, and a longer bolt,yep I pulled it out of my container.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I took the quiet core out and I enjoy the sound. Kinda like a banshee sound to me.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Makes mine sound like my KLR650 with SuperTrapp IDS2 muffler!

See http://biggunexhaust-test.com/

Old 07-21-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boxermachine

I took the quiet core out and I enjoy the sound. Kinda like a banshee sound to me.
I may just have to take the quiet core out.....[sm=lildevil.gif]