Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Default RE: Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons

hmf with half inch spacer exhaust seal at head pipe. I am very happy for $239 and $70 for a 110 chain and 48t rear sprocket still less money than the other pipes so i had to go and buy a chrome spacer and bolt $4 i still got more for my money

Old 07-17-2007, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

I just bought a HMF, even though I was fully aware of the problems. Granted, I got agood deal on a barely used one...but if I didn't I would still probably have bought one. It all comes down to what you are looking for and willing to accept. The HMF had the performance (only one of know of that provides the dyno sheet),the look, and the sound level I was looking for. They also have their own forum that provides some useful inforamtion (who else does that?).

Their downfalls are the fit and their customer service. As for the customer service, if the exhaust fit better no one would probably have evertested the customer service. As for the fit, it's a sad reminder of the state of manufacturing in America (see Harley Davidson and just about every american car company). Am I defending HMF...definatley not. But I do all of my own home and truck repairs and rarely, if ever, do things go together as they should.

What it came down to for me was...is a perfect fitting slip-on worth an extra $100 plus...or do I buy $5 worth of parts and spend 20 min of my time to correct it?Ask yourself: what'simportant in an exhaust, what your budget, what's your time worth,can you live with something brand new that has to be "fixed"?

On a "relatively" inexpensive, mass-produced dirt bike the answer was obvious to me. The answer may be different in your case, but that's for you to decide.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine is close to the rear fender but hell, I don't love the rear fender anyway.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 AM

I cut my mid pipe off about 2" and made a stainless bracket to fit between the two holes left by the stock pipe. Then mounted the pipe to the bracket. It fits great and is much more solid than just using the spacer with the small bolt. I have no issues with it touching the fender or the passenger peg. I can grab my pipe and shake the whole bike around and the pipe doesn't move.

I think it is a shame to have to go through that just because they welded the bracket in the wrong place to fit the KLX. I also think it is bull Sh%% if they said they only had to use a spacer on one out of fifteen. No other brand of pipe is having these issues. I guess it must mean that the pipes vary that much.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Let's see some photos of that!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 AM

I know I have been talking about pic's for a while, I'll get some this weekend or maybe tomorrow. It is my birthday so, I might take the day off. Well, I will be riding so it might have to wait until the weekend.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:32 AM

I got my HMF and it was bolted on in 5 minutes with no problems other then a little leak. Nothing some high temp gasket sealer didnt solve.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uponone

I got my HMF and it was bolted on in 5 minutes with no problems other then a little leak. Nothing some high temp gasket sealer didnt solve.
Why are so many people having issues with exhaust leak with the HMFs?

Old 07-18-2007, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

It's a minor issue and easily fixed.

It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you **** your pants every now and then. Suck it up. -- Scary Gary Mc

Old 07-18-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

My HMF slip on came in today!

I ordered it from Kawisupragirl and it took the typical 4 weeks due to HMF making the pipe to order. She kept me informed of the statusthe whole time. Her service, as always, was excellent.

I must have been one of the lucky ones as the install was a total breeze. I used a 1/4" spacer and a longer bolt. That's it. The fit was perfect and no exhaust leak. The fit and finish is excellent and no passenger peg issues at all. The pegs move freely with no clearance issues whatsoever. The quality of the pipe isactually much better than I expected from the price or thephotos from the manufacturer's website. In fact, it is top notch.

I started it up without the quiet core and, it sounded freakin' awesome!! I loved it but probably a little too loud for my neighbors.....so I installed the quiet core and went for a spin. The sound even with the quiet core is great. Actually it doesn't sound like a Kawi but more like a Honda....either way, it sounds pretty mean and it will bring a big grin to your face. The bike revs much smoother and the power seems more instantaneous than before.

I rode for about 20 miles and checked the pipe and everything seems to be fine.I am completely satisfied with this slip on. But like I said before, I must be one of the lucky ones becausesome people on this sitehad issues with the fit and finish of thepipe.

Quick Reply: Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons