Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons

I have a HMF slip on on order for my 2006 KLX250Sand it has been shipped, so I should be getting it very soon.

Recently I have noticed several members complaining about the poor fit of the HMF slip on resulting in a need for modificatons to make it fit.

Now the mysterious thing is, back about a year ago, I know several people on this forum got the HMF and stated that the fit was perfect. I believe DJ Fields & Marty were among them.

So obviously something has changed. Either something changed on the HMF slip-ons or something changed on the KLX250S for 2007.

What I'm asking is the guyswho have/had theHMF slip-ons to post whether they had any installation issues and what year their bike is.

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:25 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons

You should do a search for a thread I started 4 months ago complaining about the fitment and their poor return policy and not standing behind their design...the biggest joke is they have the word "engineering" in their title. I happen to be a mechanical eng and trust me that thing would not be for sale to the public in ts current design. All they have to do is relocate or redesign the mtg bracket...simple as that. They could also shorten it some which is also one of the problems and the pipe seems to be a standard size not metric so you have to clamp it down hard and use hi-temp sealantto get it to seal to the header. The price is what attracts buyers to it (same as it did me). I too read good reviews before buying it and after my problems I asked Marty and he said he had to make a long spacer to get to work also although he forgot to mention that in his review [:@]. I got rid of mine and bought a two-brothers and the style and quality was like night and day...much better imo.

btw...I have a 2006 KLX250S and the HMF doesnt fit the 2006 or 2007 worth a damn....good luck.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:33 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Heres the thread. The pics arent working but you can read everyones thoughts on it.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_116454/tm.htm

Also...go to the HMF forums website and complain...they will close and/or delete your thread quickly as they dont want you to mess with potential future customers.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thank you JB1. I will check it out. So what needs to be done is just a spacer to move the slip on away from the fender and a sealer where it connects to the header? That really wouldn't be too big of a deal for me. I do agree with you that if it is a true slip on, these modification should not be necessary.Mine will be here in a few days....we'll see.

Speaking of Two Brothers, they are not free from fitment problems either...
On my thenbrand new 1998 Honda VFR, I bought the then just released spun weave carbon fiber slip on in the high mount style. The instruction stated that it was a true slip on and used existing holes in the subframe for the high mount. Well long story short, there was no freakin way, that this was going to mount using existing holes in the subframe. I had to use a titanium bit to drill a hole in my brand new bike's subframe to mount this thing. Now this would have bothered me like crazy today. However back then, I was young and stupid and lot less **** I guess....

Didn't regret it though. Other than themodification that I had to make, the fit and finish wasexcellent. The then brand new spun weave carbon fibermounted high looked awesome and the pipe sounded absolutelyincredible. The V4 is pretty unique sounding to begin with but the pipe made the VFR sound like an Indy Car!

Old 07-15-2007, 10:59 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Oh I cant speak for two-bros fitting on every motorcycle...only on the KLX in my garage.

See...thats why they keep selling them without fixing the problems...because some people like yourself dont mind adding a spacer and putting up with the other issues, and some other members do mind the problems with poor quality. When you space it out it kinda rotates the pipe and muffler...you'll see.

If you dont mind a vibrating exhaust spaced out 1" from the mtg point on a small bolt then go for it and enjoy it. The silencer just didnt seem like it would make the long haul to me.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

JB1 in your thread link, it quotes the guy at HMF saying that out of 15 KLX250S, he only had to use spacers on only one. Do you believe him? If so, is the variance in tolerance in the pipe or the KLX? I know that the slip on being so large, there isn't much room for error.

Had I known all this beforehand, I probably would not have ordered the HMF, but what's done is done. My slip on is on it's way. We'll see what happens.

I will say this. If I had to modify to make a slip on fit on my CBR600RR,I would not do it. I'm less **** with cosmetic stuff on the KLX because it isa dirt bike.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hmm, I would bitch! Product not delivered as spec'd. Period! Not jacking the thread, but beet nassarts supplier got an ear full from me!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, let us know if you're one of the "lucky" ones! If not - that's why the make hammers, isn't it? Once you've installed it (providing you've appeased the Kawasaki gods) and fire the bike up you'll being grinning ear-to-ear! : )

Old 07-16-2007, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a HMF on mine and it went on pretty good I didn't have a problem, Until I crashed the bitch and bent the bracket in a little. Easy fix, a few beers a hard pull and it's back to where it started. LOL

It does sound cool though even though it's a little too loud for me but I bought the quiet core and it does make a big difference in sound output, but it sounds a little gay with the core in though....

Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the deep throated sound does spoil you - makes the 250 sound like a Harley - weird.

Quick Reply: Question for everyone that have/had HMF Slip ons