Question about warranty work on modded bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Could quite possibly be ignition/spark problem. my atv would lose fire at almost 15 min of idling. u could set youre watch by it! had to wait for cool down before would fire up again. problem was something in stator. that was 3300 miles ago.electrics can be feaky at times!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxrelic
Could quite possibly be ignition/spark problem. my atv would lose fire at almost 15 min of idling. u could set youre watch by it! had to wait for cool down before would fire up again. problem was something in stator. that was 3300 miles ago.electrics can be feaky at times!
Honestly I'm thinking this is what it is. I have the iridium plug in, but I have not done a plug chop. My driveway is uphill and I don't feel like pushing!...oh wait, I could just put in the old plug real quick...hmm...

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I had a look at my plug a while ago. Nuttin quick about that! Whatta chore to get plug out. anyhoo.........what exactly are your symptoms(ummm-youre bike that is!) does it happen when cold/hot/or both?sorry if i missed a previous thread. if u already posted it elsewhere lead me in the right direction.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

A chore to get teh plug out?

DUde you must be doin' it wrong.

UPDATE: Doesn't matter. Dealer doesn't give a Eff what goes on until they get teh "NO" from KAWI. Talked to a guy at my fav. dealer and he said it sounds like ignition timing, just "bring it in and we'll take care".

The tech guys are riders too, and they know about modding bikes. rejetting and adding pipes isn't really anything drastic in their eyes. They can ID issues that are related to those mods. Really, it's up to the grunts in the tech. dept. when they explain to Kawisaki the issue their having.

I got my cylinder cover gasket replaced no problem, even after supergluing it.

Do a search, yeah, I superglued my cyclinder cover gasket. Known issue with 09's.

I guess my point is...find a trusted dealer that seems honest. I drive an extra 45 minutes to get to mine. It's well worth it.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

As Deej says, it depends on your relationship with your dealer.
Kawasaki will pay if he claims it right but.......... they will only pay a set amount.
He will get more for the repair if you end up paying.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

On hindsight I think I did do it the long way(plug removal). It was a rainy day had no rush. looked at where plug was and said to self "self, maybe easier to remove gas tank!" which also led to removal of various other parts. I think next time I'll do it using supplied plug tool with the bar. Maybe if I never had spare time I would have done that originally.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxrelic
On hindsight I think I did do it the long way(plug removal). It was a rainy day had no rush. looked at where plug was and said to self "self, maybe easier to remove gas tank!" which also led to removal of various other parts. I think next time I'll do it using supplied plug tool with the bar. Maybe if I never had spare time I would have done that originally.
What'd you do? I mean...I just looked...pulled a cord, saw it needed a wrench, knew the tool bag had that size and went for it.

It's good to know I might get this issue solved. PLUS my helmet lock just gave out...doesn't lock anymore.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Well I took lotsa stuff off! I was bored! I wanted to check air filer as well so since i had seat off -------- Ill tank tank off. easy access. well easier said than done anyway. I think my bike toolkit was buried somewhere (srapping old cherokee at the time) so i had to use normal plug wrench. needless to say wont be doing it that way again! seemed like a good plan tho. good luck on getting bike fixed. hope all goes well.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:57 AM
1st Gear Member

riddle me this=======why does my and 2 other 06 klx250s's stock plug tool allow you to unscrew the plug=====but when its loose the socket hits the gas tank=====I had to get the plug loose and finger tip unscrew it=====what a pain===

Old 05-25-2009, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
riddle me this=======why does my and 2 other 06 klx250s's stock plug tool allow you to unscrew the plug=====but when its loose the socket hits the gas tank=====I had to get the plug loose and finger tip unscrew it=====what a pain===
:bemused:
I don't know what all the fuss is about. I use the toolkit plug wrench and can remove and fit the plug with it, no problem. What gives? Mine is an 07 and no I don't have small hands.

Quick Reply: Question about warranty work on modded bike