Question about warranty work on modded bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Question about warranty work on modded bike

My bike is still under warranty through the extended warranty thing I bought.

I'm sick of this stuttering and I want to take the bike in.

My question is will the dealer not even touch it until I put the stock pipes back on and rejet back to stock?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 AM
1st Gear Member

as long as the stutter is not caused by your modifications, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

If your stock bike is not as is when you signed the contract . Sorry you are pooched. Thats legalese fore FU.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

OK two completely opposite answers.

The stutter has acted the same no matter the jetting or carb cleaning. It was there originally.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Not trying to be smart but why didn't you get it fixed under warranty if it did it from the start

Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Not trying to be smart but why didn't you get it fixed under warranty if it did it from the start
Just been trying to fix it myself. I give up now.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Never give up if it was acting up from the start you should have taken it back and said not rite fix it . Now youve played with it the dealer can say whatever he likes.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'd Say your best option would be to put everything back to stock then bring it in. You could also call a dealer outside your area and tell him your situation. If he says warranty is no longer valid then u have your answer. then u have to put back to stock and visit regular dealer and hope they dont find out about previous mods. I have 3 more years of warranty to go. then its mod time! Good luck.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by niven
Never give up if it was acting up from the start you should have taken it back and said not rite fix it . Now youve played with it the dealer can say whatever he likes.
Well, if I convert it back to stock jetting and exhaust, the only thing is he can say is that the fuel mixture has been drilled. I didn't drill it, it was like that when I bought it with 1000 miles on it. The original customer probably did it, and he ended up returning the bike. The dealer said he returned it because it wasn't doing so hot with his girlfriend on the back.

They are under obligation to take a look under warranty if I bring the bike back with stock jetting and exhaust. They may notice the new rear spring, and they won't notice the new front springs. Things like new handlebars, guards or even SM wheels should not affect warranty on motor performance. At this point I am wondering if it is even the carb, because even with new jetting, the symptoms were EXACTLY the same.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If you have a great relationship with the dealer like me, they will take care of you no matter what mods you have done to the bike. Heck my dealer did most of the mods on my bike. All they care about is getting paid from Kawi for warranty work, they are certainly not going to pass that up by refusing to help ya out.

Quick Reply: Question about warranty work on modded bike