question about warming up the bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default question about warming up the bike

When I start the bike using the choke it will start up and rev 3k rpms. This can't be good for a bike that has just been started? Or am i wrong..

If I unchoke it..it stays around 1k rpms. And this seems better to me. But it need the choke to start sometimes.

Which way should I start the bike..

Also how long should I warm it up for..

Old 09-23-2009, 07:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

There's probably no consesus on this, and the weather conditions can change this more for some and less for others. On my '06 I pull the choke to full on and start the bike. It always kicks right off. After just a few seconds, I ease the choke back in to fully shut with my right hand on the throttle just in case it goes to too low of an idle. Then I usually just gently turn the idle control **** in to raise the idle rpm about 200-300 more rpm. At this point, I put my helmet and gloves on, scratch my butt if needed, and sling a leg over the saddle. I reach down and lower the idle back to normal and ride off without any high revving or other drama until a little heat builds in the motor. This works for me.

I think most automobiles and most motorcycles don't benefit from a long warmup. About as soon as the engine will carburete fairly cleanly, I think you should drive off...obviously without redlining or other nonsense. Also I'll bet the different jetting that many of us run affects the startup/warmup results. Mine is a completely uncorked setup. The stocker I rode off the showroom floor back in '06 for a test ride took a more lengthy warmup even in the moderate fall temps at the time.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm completely stock and warm up is about the same depending upon how recently I've rode. More recently equals less warm up.

Full chock just for a few seconds after starting then release the chock with a little throttle until the bike idles around 500 rpm. As it warms the rpm's climb a bit more. I know I can ride without stuttering when I can freely rev the eng to 4 or 5k rpm.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Well it sounds like im doing it right then

Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yah. My routine is usually - choke out, start, about 5 seconds later I slowly slide the choke back in. Then I take off. I keep it below like 3or 4k rpms for about 5-8 mins, then I drive it like I stole it.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

my bike must hate me.
i pull the choke, start the bike, put on my helmet, jump on ride off wih choke out. get up to speed reach down and jam the choke back shut.
i ride maybe 200 feet with the choke out.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:38 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tucaz#2
my bike must hate me.
i pull the choke, start the bike, put on my helmet, jump on ride off wih choke out. get up to speed reach down and jam the choke back shut.
i ride maybe 200 feet with the choke out.
tucaz, I've read quite a few posts from several forums about the KLX cold starting issues. Some of those even involve that method of bucking the bike back and forth by holding the front brake and compressing the fork. This apparently "splashes" some bowl fuel further up into the orifices/jets or carb throat to aid in a cold start. I'm su****ious that harder cold starts with the KLX may be based on a low fuel level.