Question about product sent to Canada and other countries

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 01:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Question about product sent to Canada and other countries

I have had riders ask about import duty charges. Most specifically Canada. If you bought a cam chain tensioner from me, did you have to pay duty on it? What percentage if you know?

I am not set up to charge the duty and pay it to the various governments, so I do not know about any of the add on costs. I do know the shipping costs have increased by 50% or more since I started this in 2009, while I've not increased prices direct over the 11 years now on any part. The shipping and any duties make it tough, but where else am I going to be able to send a part half way around the world for $39.70?

Thanks for any information.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

There is no duty on your product when shipped to Canada, we do have to pay HST/GST tax (13%) on most products here, yours are not exempt.

Ed.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, that helps. They charge it on the whole amount or just on the item value? The whole thing is around $63, where the part is either $33 or $36.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Thanks, that helps. They charge it on the whole amount or just on the item value? The whole thing is around $63, where the part is either $33 or $36.
It is really hit and miss, if they do charge tax it will be on the total amount including shipping. It depends on how you ship, Shipping USPS puts it into the Canadian Postal service for delivery, I'm thinking it would be pretty rare for them to come after the tax on an inexpensive part, that being said using UPS or Fed Ex might trigger a charge.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Always USPS unless someone is willing to pay way too much for shipping.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Anything other than USPS will result in "bend over" brokerage fees.
There should not be a duty coming into Canada because of Free Trade. I don't recall if I had to pay taxes on the CCT. I know there was no ransom for the blockoff plate. Lower cost items usually make across the border unscathed. A recent parcel from the lower 48 got charged taxes on the value of the items only not the shipping. Sometimes the cost of the shipping is included in the tax calculation since the one tax is the GST, Goods and Services Tax. Shipping is a service.

Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear they don't go nuts. I think some places in Europe will sometimes charge double the total cost. Australia has it right from what I can tell. Duty free up to something like a grand.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Being from Canada, I can say as others: with USPS low cost items usually go right away without any taxes being charged. But sometimes they are, could include shipping or not. I remember when purchasing a tensioner there was no tax being charged.

There don't seem to be a constant. At least, there is no customs brooking fee. UPS and FedEx typically charge a brooking fee, it can go to $35-$40 for a $30 item. This is not counting the shipping itself.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I remember when I had a rider's part held up in Canadian customs for almost a month, the rider commented, "they must have been bored and decided to mess with things."

Old 04-11-2020, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to contradict myself, I received things this week from Cheap Cycle Parts, through USPS-Canada Post, and there was a $9.95 brokerage fee in addition to the usual taxes (5%+9% here in Quebec). Go figure...

Quick Reply: Question about product sent to Canada and other countries